Deck railing conundrum
If you use welded or bent metal railing you wouldn't need an extra post, just a dog leg as already suggested.  It probably could be done with a well designed wooden railing, too.  

John
Wink 
(12-14-2020, 03:05 PM)barnowl Wrote: Edit to add:

I just looked at your "it extend out from the house about 16 feet and then the stairs descend."

That is NOT what you drew. What you drew is only a set of stairs. No deck.

THAT changes everything. You've got no choice.... you have to either do number 3, or relocate the post.

That is NOT what you drew. What you drew is only a set of stairs. No deck.

I thought it was obvious that the deck was behind the stairs.  (Who builds a set of stairs and calls it a deck???)))
Dumber than I appear
Does your design meet code?
The gap between the rails must be more than 4” and the height must exceed 36”.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
#1, raise the lower rail up some, or just add a post like #3.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-15-2020, 07:37 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Does your design meet code?
The gap between the rails must be more than 4” and the height must exceed 36”.

The gap between the between balusters must be no more than 4” and the gap between the lower stair rail and the stair treads and risers must be no more than 6" and the top rail height must exceed 36”.

This isn't really quite true though. The code states that a 4" ball cannot pass between balusters, rails or decking components. So a 4" gap is allowed but a 4" ball cannot pass through. The distance from where a riser intersects with a tread and the lower rail can be more than 6".
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

[Image: YFj0ufM.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

What I meant to say is the 4” code typically comes into play if the height meets or exceed 36”
Not sure how I wrote what I originally posted.

Laugh

The main point being: DP, you need to consider safety as you reconsider the design for this project.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
It is the bottom rail that is problematic.  Eliminate it.  
Add decorative balusters.  Easier to meet the 4” requirement

edit: nix on the decorative, go with straight chamfered 2x2 or similar so the long balusters on that 18” of deck looks like they belong.