Shop Made Disk Sander Table Advice
I have a couple of 12" discs I use for sanding on my Shopsmith. At least 1/2 the time I don't use the table. Like if Im sanding the side of a small box, and want to use the whole disc surface
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I use a 12" disc sander on my Shopsmith. I like being able to remove the table to use more of the disc for sanding sides of boxes, etc.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I use a heat gun to heat up the disc so that the disc removes easily and the glue comes with the disc and leaves almost nothing on the metal disc. 

The next thing I would mention is I got an old Milwaukee 12 inch floor standing disc sander at an auction. While I was looking it over I noticed it had a reversible motor. Although I do all of my home wiring, When I have several wires involved I tend to look for more qualified help so I took it to a motor shop and they put a reversing switch on read to go for $50. I love being able to change disc directions. You might want to look and see if it can be changed. Usually something that large will be reversible.

The rest if what ever you decide to do is up to you.

Tom