Shop Made Disk Sander Table Advice
Hello All,
I just picked up a disk sander that I was hoping to convert to woodworking use. The disk is steel, 16" diameter, 3/8" thick. The motor is a Brown-Brockmeyer repulsion-induction motor, 1 hp, 110/220v, 16/8 amp, that runs at 1750 RPM. It runs perfectly, and there doesn't appear to be any wobble in the disk. 

Would this work well as a woodworking sander? If so, do you have any suggestions or advice regarding table construction? I've seen several examples online. I didn't know if anyone had preferences or would recommend certain features/approaches. I've never had my own disk sander, and I'm probably overlooking the possibilities with a 16" one, so any input is appreciated.

First I thought of a miter slot, then at almost the same time I thought table saw. I just checked Craigslist, several for less than $30. I happen to have saved a few C.I. tops from recycling. Many years ago I had a 10" carbide grit sanding disk used on a T.S., without a miter slot I would've just used the belt sander.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I think it would work great, clean the face plate, gas should take the adhesive residue off, you have a table in front, anchor it to a stand or something, I think you will be pleased with it, if its smooth, the little table is durable enough, go for it.
(12-15-2020, 10:09 AM)wing nut Wrote: I think it would work great, clean the face plate, gas should take the adhesive residue off, you have a table in front, anchor it to a stand or something, I think you will be pleased with it, if its smooth, the little table is durable enough, go for it.

The piece in the front is just 1" angle iron the prior owner used as a rest when sharpening tools. There is no table on the sander.
You got yourself a variable speed sander there. Slow speed near the center. High speed at the edge.
Cobble together some blocks and risers and you'll be good.  Example of a simple commercial version below.

(12-16-2020, 11:51 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Cobble together some blocks and risers and you'll be good.  Example of a simple commercial version below.

That looks like half an old craftsman t.s. top.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(12-18-2020, 11:59 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: That looks like half an old craftsman t.s. top.

I was torn between the simple box approach and something more elaborate. The T.S. idea intrigued me, but I worried about cost and complexity. Then I bought this today for $15. I can basically mount it in front of my sander and be good to go--plus I like the look of the saw. It's almost the perfect size, has a miter slot and flat table, and allows for table height and angle adjustment. Unfortunately, the table will tilt downward toward the sander if angled, so I doubt I'll be using that feature. 

If anyone has any specific suggestions, I'm all ears. 

(12-15-2020, 10:09 AM)wing nut Wrote: I think it would work great, clean the face plate, gas should take the adhesive residue off, you have a table in front, anchor it to a stand or something, I think you will be pleased with it, if its smooth, the little table is durable enough, go for it.

Oh please don't use gasoline as a solvent.

Even outside, the vapors are going to be dangerous.  Use another solvent that is not quite as volatile.

A good family friend was using gasoline to remove the left over mastic after pulling up a linoleum tile floor.  He is no longer with us as a reult of his actions.

Don't be that guy!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
chris
there was a woodsmith plan several years ago for a table to put on a lathe to make it into a sander.  I made one, it worked well.  Might be able to retrofit that idea, it had a piano hinge so you could tilt the table.  Worked well until I found a dedicated powermatic one.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere