Looking at getting a benchtop Lathe
I like the rikon 70-220 because it has the bigger tool rest diameter which apparently makes it more stable. I think it also has the bigger bed extension. But I also like the that the jet has a lower speed it can go which I have read is nice for rough turning.
Since you're in a larger metropolitan area I'd watch Craigslist.   I found my big Vega lath for a good price on CL.

Lots of time you'll see Grandad's lath up for sale, etc. and there are some real quality old machines out there as well as some "lightly used" newer models someone bought thinking it would be fun, etc. and it's time to make room
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
First lathe? I'd look at a Wen.

I had always wanted to try turning, and with the recent influx of free time available I thought it a good opportunity. I bought a Wen 12-18 lathe and some basic HSS tools. The first thing I turned was a "magic wand" that was just a small piece of scrap I had laying around. Having enjoyed that, I bought a bed extension and a maple blank and turned a baseball bat. It was too big and heavy, so I made another.

Now I've moved on to pepper mills, bottle openers, and shakers. I will try a bowl soon. The tools I used often got replaced with carbide tools as the steel dulled quickly (probably a factor of both HSS tools in general and lower quality HSS tools). I bought other chucks and centers to facilitate the pepper mills, for example.

Even with all the extensions, starter tools, chucks, and so on I probably only have about $800 invested. I figured if I bought a lathe and didn't care for it I wouldn't be out much. If I loved it (and I do), I would upgrade when I had a need.
(12-17-2020, 07:53 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Since you're in a larger metropolitan area I'd watch Craigslist.   I found my big Vega lath for a good price on CL.

Lots of time you'll see Grandad's lath up for sale, etc. and there are some real quality old machines out there as well as some "lightly used" newer models someone bought thinking it would be fun, etc. and it's time to make room
Rolleyes

The only issue with that is that I do not have a SUV or Pickup so it makes it harder to go pick up a big lathe.  Also still waiting on the person to finish up wiring up my basement shop with 20 amp breakers dedicated to my shop.
(12-17-2020, 09:48 AM)FS7 Wrote: First lathe? I'd look at a Wen.

I had always wanted to try turning, and with the recent influx of free time available I thought it a good opportunity. I bought a Wen 12-18 lathe and some basic HSS tools. The first thing I turned was a "magic wand" that was just a small piece of scrap I had laying around. Having enjoyed that, I bought a bed extension and a maple blank and turned a baseball bat. It was too big and heavy, so I made another.

Now I've moved on to pepper mills, bottle openers, and shakers. I will try a bowl soon. The tools I used often got replaced with carbide tools as the steel dulled quickly (probably a factor of both HSS tools in general and lower quality HSS tools). I bought other chucks and centers to facilitate the pepper mills, for example.

Even with all the extensions, starter tools, chucks, and so on I probably only have about $800 invested. I figured if I bought a lathe and didn't care for it I wouldn't be out much. If I loved it (and I do), I would upgrade when I had a need.

I'm more of a buy the best that you can right then. I know I will enjoy turning one as I enjoy watching those slow motion videos of turning and also already have some ideas of what I can make it with not to mention that several people in my family have already asked hey can you make this and I tell them no I need a Lathe. Plus next year I plan to give my father in-law a baseball bat. I had though about it this year but I don't have a lathe or a spoke shave.
Consider renting a truck for a few hours in your equation.
Semper fi,
Brad

(12-18-2020, 02:10 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Consider renting a truck for a few hours in your equation.

Ask the seller if they have a truck or trailer or maybe have a friend . . .
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)