Electric chainsaw excessive clutch wear
Hi all:

I have a Craftsman 16" electric chainsaw that I acquired used years ago.  A few days ago, I was fortunate enough to harvest some fresh 16" walnut rounds from a neighbor.  When I started to dice them up for lathe blanks after a few cuts the chain stopped moving and long story short the clutch drum had all the interior teeth knocked off.  So I figured it was worn from previous use and I bought two new replacement drums.  Put it together and after the first couple of cuts same problem.

My first inclination is that cutting wet walnut nearly as long as the bar is just too much for this saw.  On the other hand, the saw did not feel, sound or act as if it was struggling.  It seemed to be cutting fine right up to the point that it stopped with a stripped clutch.  Is it possible that my novice chainsaw technique is part of the problem?

Any wisdom would be appreciated.  If this saw is not enough to dice up lathe blanks in wet wood do you have a recommended replacement?

Thanks
DM
Are you sure the drum and chain are are the same pitch ?
If you have a chain of the wrong pitch it would just eat the sprocket
I assume you have made sure the oiler is working ?
My 2 cents
(12-18-2020, 08:12 AM)oakey Wrote: Are you sure the drum and chain  are are the same pitch ?
If you have a chain of the wrong pitch  it would just eat the sprocket
I assume you have made sure the oiler is working ?
My 2 cents

I looked up how to measure pitch on chain, but how do I tell what drum is compatible?  

There is oil everywhere but not a bunch on the chain.  How much oil should I see on the chain?  Would lack of oil burn clutch even if chain is spinning freely?

Thanks
DM
the oil should be mostly on the bar and chain
is the chain oilier passage ways clean RE not full of saw dust plugging the oil drill holes?
both the pitch and chain gauge and amount of links have to be right a chain and clutch that are not meant to be used together will self destruct ?
i assume the tension on the chain is about right and you re tightened it after the run in ?
i can not think of anything else that would destroy the sprocket certainly fully using it is not the problem
what model # is the saw?
Craftsman 316.341070
Sounds to like the drive sprocket isn't matching up with the chain.
Turn it upside down and see if the chain is engaged.
Well, if it's tore up that probably won't help.
But, look at the drive gear on the sprocket and see if there is any teeth left out the outer part. The chain only runs on a small portion of that drive gear. The chain should engage fully close to half the way around.

Edit. You said interior clutch drum. Ok. Forget about the chain matching up. I was thinking about the drive gear for the chain.

You have some kind of problem where the clutch drum engages the electric motor. Hmmm
Clutch drum is no doubt plastic teeth?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-18-2020, 05:25 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Sounds to like the drive sprocket isn't matching up with the chain.
Turn it upside down and see if the chain is engaged.
Well, if it's tore up that probably won't help.
But, look at the drive gear on the sprocket and see if there is any teeth left out the outer part. The chain only runs on a small portion of that drive gear. The chain should engage fully close to half the way around.

Edit. You said interior clutch drum. Ok. Forget about the chain matching up. I was thinking about the drive gear for the chain.

You have some kind of problem where the clutch drum engages the electric motor. Hmmm
Clutch drum is no doubt plastic teeth?
Yes interior of the clutch drum has plastic teeth.  
Thanks
I wrongly assumed the chain drive was what failed the parts inside the clutch drum very well may not be built to make a heavy cut seems poor but it's what stuff is now a days
(12-19-2020, 12:27 AM)matzner Wrote: Yes interior of the clutch drum has plastic teeth.  
Thanks

Do you see any side to side motor adjustment in there?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020