5mm dowels/pins
Recently I was making an upper cabinet (for the garage) from melamine planks that were pre-drilled for shelf-pins.

I wanted to make sure that the left side was cut to the same dimension as the right side and that the holes aligned from left to right. 

I figured if I placed a couple of 5 mm dowels in the holes I could get perfect alignment and then I could cut both planks at the same time assuring both alignment and size.

Where to find 5mm dowels though?

Easy.  I had them in the house.  

It turns out that the bamboo skewers that they sell in the supermarket come in two diameters.  The larger of the two was 5mm. 

So if you ever need 5mm dowels for alignment, then head to your supermarket. The 5mm are the longer ones.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-18-2020, 09:17 AM)Cooler Wrote: Recently I was making an upper cabinet (for the garage) from melamine planks that were pre-drilled for shelf-pins.

I wanted to make sure that the left side was cut to the same dimension as the right side and that the holes aligned from left to right. 

I figured if I placed a couple of 5 mm dowels in the holes I could get perfect alignment and then I could cut both planks at the same time assuring both alignment and size.

Where to find 5mm dowels though?

Easy.  I had them in the house.  

It turns out that the bamboo skewers that they sell in the supermarket come in two diameters.  The larger of the two was 5mm. 

So if you ever need 5mm dowels for alignment, then head to your supermarket. The 5mm are the longer ones.

Interesting. I assume you could only cut two pieces at once? They basically have to be flush as I'm sure they could bend or flex easily.

Then again even I am not that much of a perfectionist.
I rough cut two side panels and then used 4 pins to align them.  I then cut the side panels to length on a radial arm saw. 

The alignment of the left side and right side were guaranteed by the pins (skewer pieces) that held them in place. 

If the left and right sides are not aligned correctly the shelves will not mount level.

That is the only use I would have for 5mm dowels.  But when I need them, they are easy to find now.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.