I ordered some moulding from Menards
Two pieces of 8' trim to be exact.

After two weeks, USPS delivers one piece of broken trim in a box that is destroyed on one end and looks like it's been driven over several times after being dropped from a tall building.

It blows my mind how I've had other carriers notify me of a damaged package and return it ASAP while USPS apparently lets it sit in a warehouse or something for a week or more before ultimately delivering something of no value whatsoever.
(12-18-2020, 09:31 AM)FS7 Wrote: Two pieces of 8' trim to be exact.

After two weeks, USPS delivers one piece of broken trim in a box that is destroyed on one end and looks like it's been driven over several times after being dropped from a tall building.

It blows my mind how I've had other carriers notify me of a damaged package and return it ASAP while USPS apparently lets it sit in a warehouse or something for a week or more before ultimately delivering something of no value whatsoever.

Aw, c'mon.  They put one of those "package received in damaged condition" stickers on it, didn't they?
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-18-2020, 11:53 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Aw, c'mon.  They put one of those "package received in damaged condition" stickers on it, didn't they?

Nope. Just dropped off like nothing was wrong even though it looks like a mangled carcass.
My experiences with the postal service have deteriorated more and more the past few years and even more so since Corona. Priority mail taking twice as long, or longer, to arrive. Carrier pickup requests consistently ignored and unfilled at least 50% of the time. Packages not being scanned with tracking uploaded for days after they receive them. Mail is constantly delivered in the wrong community mail box slots.

My confidence has dwindled to say the least. They were top notch for many years. It seems I have a new carrier, or fill-in, on a regular basis. That has remained consistent, unfortunately....

I'm in general agreement with the above.  I have more than a few stories of USPS follies out here since we moved tot he acreage 6 1/2 years ago.  

I try to deal with the issue by not providing the USPS with the opportunity to fail.  Sometimes I succeed...sometimes.

I tend to think that shipping 8' sections of trim is a high-risk venture, regardless of carrier.  I'd buy locally.  I think you probably would have, too, and perhaps in this instance it seemed like your only or best option.

What did Menard's say?  You likely paid them to ship, correct?  The transaction wasn't complete until it was delivered to you.

If Menard's starts experiencing significant numbers of dissatisfied customers, they'll change their shipping carrier.  Might cost more to ship, but risk to the shipment would be lower.
Menards refunded, but wanted a picture to file a claim with USPS. So it's not like I'm out anything other than time. It's possible that local yards might have something similar. Otherwise I'm left with making my own.

They used a single wall cardboard box taped in the middle, so far too weak and flexible to be useful. I agree that shipping 8' trim is asking for trouble but having worked in manufacturing before I assumed they would use shipping tubes, not a homemade box.
(12-19-2020, 04:04 PM)FS7 Wrote: ...

They used a single wall cardboard box taped in the middle, so far too weak and flexible to be useful. I agree that shipping 8' trim is asking for trouble but having worked in manufacturing before I assumed they would use shipping tubes, not a homemade box.

Wow.  The Menards peeps in shipping let you down. 

I received a long, thin shipment last week from Johnson Hardware with 6' of track and hardware for a bifold door.  It was packaged in a tube that seemed heavy enough to be used as a concrete form.