I need a new jigsaw!
The Bosh barrel grip is the easeiest jigsaw to use and helped me realize a jigsaw does not have to "butcher" the wood.  When I needed a new jigsaw the barrel was not to be found, but I did find a Bosh.  That was more than 20 years ago and I'm still happy.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I have a Milwaukee corded and a Bosch cordless. A friend gave me a bunch of cheap blades. I wound up tossing them because as good as my saws are they couldn't do a decent job.

If you don't already have them, get some good blades, and make sure your saw is set up correctly.

----
See ya later,
Bill
(12-18-2020, 06:07 PM)Kudzu Wrote: A good jigsaw is much better and easier to use, no doubt,   I upgraded to a higher end model and will never go back to the cheap ones.

But a  lot the problem with angled curve cuts is operator error.  You have to 'spin' or 'rotate' the saw on the centerline of the blade and most people don't do that. You push the back of the saw and are twisting and/or pushing the saw blade causing the blade to bend.  It is not a natural feeling movement but it makes a HUGE differnce in the quality of you cut.

Blade size is also very important but the narrower you get the more important it is to rotate the saw on the centerline of the blade.

I completely agree with this statement. My go to is a 20 y.o. top handle Makita. The oscillating blade is great for speed but I'll back it off for tight curves. You have to learn to aim the blade to the cut line; not push sideways. Even if you purchase a band saw, you'll need this skill. Without it, slanted cuts will be accompanied with shortened blade life, worn blade guides, and increase possible injury. I have an old Craftsman jigsaw with an option to unlock the blade shaft and "steer" by rotating the top handle. With this type of saw, even a novice will quickly learn how to aim the blade to the line, vs. pushing the whole the saw over to it.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I have to concur that Bosch blades are the only way to go.

I started with a crafstman POS that vibrated like crazy untill it mercilessly self destructed.

It was replaced by a German made Milwaukee top handel model about 20 years ago. This Christmas present was from my Mom who usually bought Milwaukee and Craftsman tools. This saw is a joy to use, especially when compared to the crapsman

About 8 years ago I paid $40 for a Bosch Barrel grip saw at a garage sale. I had never used a barrel grip saw, but had heard how well liked the Bosch barrell grip jigsaws were. I bought it figuring that if i didn't like it i could resell it and recoup my cost. It seems to be slightly easier to control the cut with the barrel grip than the top handel saw. On at least one occasion, the shorter barrel grip saw was able to get into a tight space that the top handel saw couldn't get into.

Now i usually just grab whicever saw has the type of blade in it that suits my needs.

I would scour facebook marketplace and craigslist looking for a Bosch barrel grip saw. If it you find one look on the plate to see if it was made in Germany or Switzerland. You could also ask the seller to look at the data plate for you. I believe that diffrent models have been made in diffrent countries all over world including China.
My .02
Karl

(12-18-2020, 11:50 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: .... You have to learn to aim the blade to the cut line; not push sideways. Even if you purchase a band saw, you'll need this skill. ...

I had forgotten this but the bandsaw is where I figured this out. 

Watching the blade twist and bind showed me what I was doing wrong with the jig saw.  This is something you never see talks about it on woodworking forums or blogs but it is very important.  People want to blame it on the saw, the blades, the wood when most times it is simply Operator Error because they just don't know better.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Bosch jigsaw and blades are the way to go.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(12-18-2020, 06:07 PM)Kudzu Wrote:  You have to 'spin' or 'rotate' the saw on the centerline of the blade and most people don't do that. 

Forgive my ignorance, help me better understand this technique.
(12-20-2020, 09:20 PM)NORM ABRAHAM Wrote: Forgive my ignorance, help me better understand this technique.

Basically what we're all trying to say is to steer the saw, don't push it sideways to get the cutting path where you want it. I know that sounds simplistic because we all "steer" the saw. The problem with slanted cuts happen when we don't "steer" enough (or over steer) and compensate by pushing the blade sideways. I tell beginners to keep their head over the top of the saw looking straight down the front of the blade so they can see if/when they're bending the blade. I also have them practice with thin bodied blades in thick stock. Learn it this way and you'll look like a pro with Bosch blades on a powerful orbital jig saw.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(12-18-2020, 09:50 AM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Maybe your issue lies with the blades you're using.  I use only Bosch blades and have no complaints.

I also use Bosch blades with good results (on a Bosch jig saw which I like very much). 

Note:  For many years jig saw blades had offset teeth (most still do).  But the better blades have ground teeth and cut cleaner.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/tool-review...saw-blades
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I use Bosch and Freud blades in my jig saw.  On a set of Bosch now but I like both.  When I was having trouble jig sawing, I discovered I was pushing too much expecting my force to help with the cutting instead of letting the saw blade do it's work.  Also, as stated above, I was focused on where the saw was going and not the blade.  The saw is just there to move the blade around, the blade is the important part.