remote control wall switch
i've got a gas fireplace in the living room that works by flipping a wall switch (same as a regular light switch; it works even when i've lost power...some kind of magic going on there that i don't pretend to understand).

i'd like to have a remote to turn the fireplace on/off without having to get out of my seat, preferably one that just replaces the wall switch. the fireplace is, essentially, binary in its operation (just on or off...no thermostatic controls).

no need to integrate with anything, no need to have some sort of Alexa control interface, no desire to use an "app" on my phone or computer...no need/desire for a timer or anything...i'd just like to have a replacement for the wall switch and a remote with a button that turns the fireplace on/off.

ideas?

tia
We use one as a primary source of heat in our family room. It operates by way of a heating only thermostat. Parents have one that works with a remote and/or Tstat. It is a brand new unit, as opposed to ours which is approaching 30 years of age...
We do not use any wireless control system/network (yet) so can't offer much more than that...
(12-18-2020, 10:29 AM)TadMcD Wrote: i've got a gas fireplace in the living room that works by flipping a wall switch (same as a regular light switch; it works even when i've lost power...some kind of magic going on there that i don't pretend to understand).

i'd like to have a remote to turn the fireplace on/off without having to get out of my seat, preferably one that just replaces the wall switch. the fireplace is, essentially, binary in its operation (just on or off...no thermostatic controls).

no need to integrate with anything, no need to have some sort of Alexa control interface, no desire to use an "app" on my phone or computer...no need/desire for a timer or anything...i'd just like to have a replacement for the wall switch and a remote with a button that turns the fireplace on/off.

ideas?

tia

if it works without power your fireplace must have a pilot light?  if so, its uses a millivolt control for the shut-off solenoid.  These are where the thermocouple pile sticks into the pilot light flame. The pile uses voodoo to turn the heat of the tiny flame into a half volt or so to operate the solenoid holding the valve open when the pile is being heated by the pilot. The same millivolt power operates a second solenoid to open a bigger valve to fire up the fireplace. The wall switch is wired to this second solenoid and interrupts this voltage when you want the fireplace off.    The wall switch wires terminate at the valve body on this second solenoid and a tech could probably wire a remote to those same terminals on the millivolt valve body.  The remote would work in tandem with your existing wall switch (well, the wall switch would probably override the remote switch)
WoodNET... the new safespace
(12-18-2020, 03:18 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: if it works without power your fireplace must have a pilot light?  if so, its uses a millivolt control for the shut-off solenoid.  These are where the thermocouple pile sticks into the pilot light flame. The pile uses voodoo to turn the heat of the tiny flame into a half volt or so to operate the solenoid holding the valve open when the pile is being heated by the pilot.  The same millivolt power operates a second solenoid to open a bigger valve to  fire up the fireplace.  The wall switch is wired to this second solenoid and interrupts this voltage when you want the fireplace off.    The wall switch wires terminate at the valve body on this second solenoid and a tech could probably wire a remote to those same terminals on the millivolt valve body.  The remote would work in tandem with your existing wall switch (well, the wall switch would probably override the remote switch)

yeah...it's got some sort of "standing pilot light" thingamabob. i was just thinking i could find a replacement for the wall switch that worked remotely.

i appreciate the explanation...just always amazed/confused me about how this stuff worked without 'lectricity. you've been very helpful. thank you.
(12-18-2020, 09:23 PM)TadMcD Wrote: yeah...it's got some sort of "standing pilot light" thingamabob. i was just thinking i could find a replacement for the wall switch that worked remotely.

i appreciate the explanation...just always amazed/confused me about how this stuff worked without 'lectricity. you've been very helpful. thank you.

Just replace the wall switch with a smart thermostat that supports Millivolt.   then, you can use your phone to turn it or off or, have it come on when its cold.

maybe something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Durablow-TR1003-F...KCXWGCZA23

I'd recommend you get a furnace guy to do it if you are not confident.
WoodNET... the new safespace
i took the cover off the wall switch today and found just a regular, standard 120 wall switch with just two tiny wires attached (nothing attached to the green screw...neutral or ground...i can't keep them straight; in other words, the switch is not wired into the house AC circuit).

the fireplace has a gas (propane) pilot light which powers a thermocoupler which generates a tiny current...that's what runs through the wall switch.

i think i can just get a regular, 120v, remote-operated wall switch and replace what's there.

thank you all for the leads, suggestions, and explanations.
(12-19-2020, 05:40 PM)TadMcD Wrote: i took the cover off the wall switch today and found just a regular, standard 120 wall switch with just two tiny wires attached (nothing attached to the green screw...neutral or ground...i can't keep them straight; in other words, the switch is not wired into the house AC circuit).

the fireplace has a gas (propane) pilot light which powers a thermocoupler which generates a tiny current...that's what runs through the wall switch.

i think i can just get a regular, 120v, remote-operated wall switch and replace what's there.

The average wifi remote switch requires a hot, neutral and a ground if you have that available where the switch is you are good to go.  If not there might be 
a battery powered option available
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(12-19-2020, 05:40 PM)TadMcD Wrote: i took the cover off the wall switch today and found just a regular, standard 120 wall switch with just two tiny wires attached (nothing attached to the green screw...neutral or ground...i can't keep them straight; in other words, the switch is not wired into the house AC circuit).

Remember not to feed 120v ac into the existing wires on the switch.   A lot of the remote control switches need to be powered from 120v and feed the 120 v to the circuit being switched.  Roly
no way to feed 120 to that switch (without some serious fishing/re-wiring inside the wall)...there's no wiring inside the box other than the tiny wires described previously.

bummed to hear most of the remote stuff will require 120 to operate; i'll be careful to ask the right questions.

thanks all....
Don't limit yourself to a wall remote switch.  Any battery operated switch will work.  Install the receive in the fireplace near the gas valve and connect it in parallels with the wall switch.