remote control wall switch
(12-19-2020, 05:40 PM)TadMcD Wrote: i took the cover off the wall switch today and found just a regular, standard 120 wall switch with just two tiny wires attached (nothing attached to the green screw...neutral or ground...i can't keep them straight; in other words, the switch is not wired into the house AC circuit).

the fireplace has a gas (propane) pilot light which powers a thermocoupler which generates a tiny current...that's what runs through the wall switch.

i think i can just get a regular, 120v, remote-operated wall switch and replace what's there.

thank you all for the leads, suggestions, and explanations.

Those two tiny wires are just the half volt millivolt thermostat connection.  Someone used a cheap light switch instead of a thermostat.   You can replace it with a millivolt thermost if you want the fireplace to work as a heat source responding to temperature.  Or, you can install a wireless thermostat, must make sure it works with Millevolt.

There is no 120v there and you should not put it there.   Do it right.  Dont be cheap.
WoodNET... the new safespace