Recommendations for beginner books and resources?
My young adult nephew wants to start woodworking. His interests are broad, and probably include everything from household built-ins to fine furniture. He is inclined to mix power tools and hand tools, and is definitely interested in artistic work with the hand tools I'm going to send him my copy of Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, recommend getting his hands on Hylton's book for construction info if not how-to, and probably White's book on shop machines. I'll also recommend that he look at lots of furniture, and point him to a few famous woodworkers to see what's possible. I have some thoughts for others when he has a little experience, but looking for basics right now. Given that as a start, any other beginner how-to books (or other resources) you would recommend for a newbie? I believe Taunton has some collections, but I am not familiar with them.

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(12-18-2020, 10:42 PM)Aram Wrote: My young adult nephew wants to start woodworking. His interests are broad, and probably include everything from household built-ins to fine furniture. He is inclined to mix power tools and hand tools, and is definitely interested in artistic work with the hand tools I'm going to send him my copy of Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, recommend getting his hands on Hylton's book for construction info if not how-to, and probably White's book on shop machines. I'll also recommend that he look at lots of furniture, and point him to a few famous woodworkers to see what's possible. I have some thoughts for others when he has a little experience, but looking for basics right now. Given that as a start, any other beginner how-to books (or other resources) you would recommend for a newbie? I believe Taunton has some collections, but I am not familiar with them.

Thanks.

Oops, meant to post in Woodworking
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Ok, ... be that way. See if I give you any resource suggestions. Just know that after waving my wet pointer in the dusty breeze, that my prediction will be true: everyone has a tail or battery in the background. I have several. High tech materials require high tech tools.

Smirk

Ps. Hint- Start simple, start small, start with a limited (very limited) tool box. Google, how to _____? And, go from there.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Go to the local Library...sign out all 6 of Roy Underhill's "Workbooks",  from The Woodwright's Shop.    Also, see IF they can get a copy of Norm Abram's two New Yankee Workshop books...the first 2 that he put out....as they have detailed plans for each project.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that