Recommendations for beginner books and resources?
Posted this in hand tools by mistake.

My young adult nephew wants to start woodworking. His interests are broad, and probably include everything from household built-ins to fine furniture. He is inclined to mix power tools and hand tools, and is definitely interested in artistic work with the hand tools I'm going to send him my copy of Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, recommend getting his hands on Hylton's book for construction info if not how-to, and probably White's book on shop machines. I'll also recommend that he look at lots of furniture, and point him to a few famous woodworkers to see what's possible. I have some thoughts for others when he has a little experience, but looking for basics right now. Given that as a start, any other beginner how-to books (or other resources) you would recommend for a newbie? I believe Taunton has some collections, but I am not familiar with them.

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
If I was starting out, I would be glad to be handed a copy of "The Anarchists Tool Chest" by Chris Schwarz.

Learning quickly what is important, and what is NOT, to be a woodworker. Of whatever kind.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I like C. Schwartz's books, but I also like Norm Abrams' New Yankee Workshop books.  LOML gave me two of them early in my woodworking journey and I've built several of the projects contained in them.  Gently-used versions of the books can be found on Amazon for a few dollars.

I have a number of the Taunton books.  Too many to list here; they're  a fairly uniform high quality set of books.  I like them, and still drag them out from time to time.  

A quick plug for buying used books:  LOML started looking for specific used books online.  I was skeptical about the condition of the books that would be received; I expected to see books that were falling apart or missing pages.  My skepticism was unwarranted.  I found that the experienced and highly-rated sellers are generally on target with their description of a book's condition.  A wide variety of the books you seek are available there, in good condition, for a tiny fraction of the original cover price.
Don't overlook finishing....I think having a copy of Bob Flexner's book (the third edition has just been released) would be really helpful. I would imagine the earlier editions can be had cheap.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'd recommend Woodsmith magazine. Especially the older issues. The diagrams are clear and the directions are usually straightforward. Lots of easy projects that are useful and decorative. And, most projects of that nature do not require extensive tool sets.  Helped me at the beginning.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
I agree with Woodsmith recommendation. I think some of these more advanced books could possibly discourage or scare a new woodworker away. Achieving success early on is important for some. Simpler, well guided, projects like many seen in Wood magazine and Woodsmith are perfect.

If he wants to learn hand tools, get him a good reference on sharpening. All hand tools need sharpening and dull hand tools don’t work. While learning hand tools one should be working towards the basic principles of fine sharpening. Chisels and plane blades for starters. Scary sharp method is cheap, easy, and produces excellent results. Granite slab, eclipse style jig, automotive sandpaper. I still get my best edges consistently with this method despite having a Tormek and water stones.

I agree with the classics mentioned.  Frid's books might be sufficient.  The answers to 95% of questions asked on a bulletin board such as this one can be found there -- although following him is not the only way to do good work so there are more answers here.  The black and white photos are worth study, but sometimes not the easiest to fully understand.

Hoadley's "Understanding Wood" is another standard.  If your nephew doesn't mind a little math, all the information in that excellent book is also available in a less easily assimilated form in the free to download Forest Products Laboratory Wood Handbook

Other books that are good for starting out should cover things he finds interesting.  He could go various directions, but here are a few.

Making and Mastering Wood Planes by David Finck   This book shows how to make Krenov style handplanes, starting from zero.  It thoroughly describes how to use all the needed tools, as well as how to tune and use the planes.  It's definitely not the best first book for everyone, but for the right person it can be a fantastic place to start.  There is a revised edition at Lost Art Press.

If he is interested in hand tools, Aldren Watson's "Hand tools, their ways and workings" is excellent.  Robert Wearing's "The essential woodworker" is similar and also excellent, but Watson's hand-drawn and very clear drawings give that book an edge to me.  While he needs only one because they fill the same niche, I'm glad I have both.

If he's more interested in power tools, Yeung Chan's "Classic joints with power tools" is a good option.

Peter Korn's "Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship" is a good intro to both hand and power tools and methods.  It will help the reader decide which direction to go. It has very clear illustrations and descriptions, and leads one through several projects.  If you read Frid carefully enough, everything here except the projects could be found there, but this is a very pleasant sequence, while that is a more encyclopedic listing that requires more work from the reader.
Aram, 2 of the above recommended some older Woodsmith magazines. As it turns out I have a huge stack of Woodsmith that's about to go to recycle. I could send the oldest ones (as many as will fit a flat rate box) if you want. My oldest copies are probably mid 90s or so. PM me if you want them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-19-2020, 05:16 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Aram, 2 of the above recommended some older Woodsmith magazines. As it turns out I have a huge stack of Woodsmith that's about to go to recycle. I could send the oldest ones (as many as will fit a flat rate box) if you want. My oldest copies are probably mid 90s or so. PM me if you want them.

Thank you, Fred! I will PM you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Fred, I think you can ship Woodsmith at media rates, if it’s still an option. Might be cheaper than flat rate.