Recommendations for beginner books and resources?
Jeff Greene’s American furniture of the 18th century has an appendix showing basic construction of various common furniture types. I think there are basic best practices for how a kitchen cabinet is constructed, or an 18th c desk, that can be inspiring and super helpful.

Beyond basic construction, I feel like would be furniture makers should spend more time drawing and learning art history. I see a lot of well made ugly or naive furniture. It’s a shame. But what can we expect. There’s so much to learn. I’ve written a few magazine articles on the subject. But there may be a book that’s better.
(12-19-2020, 05:37 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Fred, I think you can ship Woodsmith at media rates, if it’s still an option.  Might be cheaper than flat rate.

I think you are correct, but I can do flat rate from home and no need to go to the PO. If I can use the regional flat rate (which is home only) it might be less. But I'll check everything out before I ship. Thanks for the reminder.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have been very happy with the Nick Engler books.

If they start getting interested in turning, then I would start them with the Raffin books and a strong recommendation to find a local woodturning club once the covid shutdowns end. Actually, a lot of the clubs are doing virtual club meetings and people can often join any turning club and get a year of demos for the price of their dues. It is not as good as the mentoring that one can get from local turners, but it can still be helpful.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.