3mm R Roundover bit
I'm having a difficult time finding a 3mm radius roundover bit. I have a specific task requiring this. 

Thanks
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(12-19-2020, 10:40 AM)museumguy Wrote: I'm having a difficult time finding a 3mm radius roundover bit. I have a specific task requiring this. 

Thanks

Can you use an 1/8" (3.175mm)? They are common.
3mm radius round over bits do exist.

https://www.dimartooling.com/Router_Bits...L97_R3_d12

You'd have to order it from Australia, Germany, or somewhere else.
(12-19-2020, 11:01 AM)jlanciani Wrote: Can you use an 1/8" (3.175mm)? They are common.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

1/8" = 0.125"
3mm = 0.118"
difference = 0.007" = thickness of 40lb paper

Not sure you would notice the difference especially if you consider the change in the wood's dimensions due to seasonal moisture differences.
(12-19-2020, 06:59 PM)Sullivan Wrote: That's exactly what I was thinking.

1/8" = 0.125"
3mm = 0.118"
difference = 0.007" = thickness of 40lb paper

Not sure you would notice the difference especially if you consider the change in the wood's dimensions due to seasonal moisture differences.

Might be surprised that the .125" is actually 3mm.
Ok, I'm going by what I was told as for dimensions. I know that a 1/8" radius is too small. I need to measure the material very carefully on Monday. Based on the previous posts, 1/8" should be satisfactory. I will post my findings next week.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Merry Xmas :

https://www.hartvilletool.com/product/85...ol-routers

you’ll need an 8mm collet if you don’t have one already.
(12-19-2020, 08:27 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Merry Xmas :

https://www.hartvilletool.com/product/85...ol-routers

you’ll need an 8mm collet if you don’t have one already.

And it's got the Festool price to go along with it ($63) - plus you'll need the adapter.

You can get the Whiteside 1/8" radius, 1/2" shank (2005C) for around $23 - approximately 1/3 the price of the Festool.
Quote:And it's got the Festool price to go along with it ($63) - plus you'll need the adapter.

So ?   It's EXACTLY what museumguy asked for. Available today.   In the USA.   - And 8mm collets (or bushings) aren't that hard to come by.  If you have any Leigh stuff, you've got one already.

Nothing is more frustrating than someone asking for a rare, specific widget; and when presented with the solution - pull the rug out from underneath and say "oh, it needs to cost less than a sandwich"  -or- "that's too expensive"  -or- "I can't afford that."    Why would one even have the expectation that something like that would be inexpensive?   Elusive stuff isn't cheap as a rule.

Quote:You can get the Whiteside 1/8" radius, 1/2" shank (2005C) for around $23 - approximately 1/3 the price of the Festool.

Um, OK.

museumguy doesn't want an 1/8" roundover.  He wants 3mm.   Though I acknowledge some 1/8" bits may actually be 3mm.  And/or he may not actually need to cut 7 thousandths less to make his project work.  But he didn't say that . I assume he's smart enough to know 1/8" is pretty close, or can do the calculation, or google search for a conversion widget to work out the proximity to English.

But, that's beside the point.

You can get a 1/8" radius bit in 1/2" or 1/4" shank from (insert Chinese pithy Americanized brand name here) for 6 bucks and change.  That Whiteside bit has the Whiteside price to go along with it, too.   And while you may deem Whiteside's price to fair and reasonable, other's may not.  Just as you deem Festool's price too dear.

And suppose museum guy wants to use this bit in trim router like a DW611?   That ain't accepting a 1/2 bit.  But it will take an 8mm.