Knife Block - flexible inserts
Howdy all

Been awhile since I posted.  Made a kitchen knife block years ago, and used bamboo skewers as the inserts to store/hold knives.  Well, the bamboo skewers lasted a good amount of time, but now they're all shredded, and pull out when we pull knives out.  So, time to replace.  Thought about using plastic / flexible rods as the inserts this time (see pic).

A)  Anyone have any experience with plastic inserts?
B)  Where can one buy these inserts?  Amazon sells replacement ones for specific manufacturer's knife blocks, but the sizes are specific to the block they sell; I'd need at least 5 to use in my knife block, and would have to cut them to size to fill ($150)
B)  Other alternatives for insert?

Thanks for any assistance!  Happy Holidays, all.

Attached Files Image(s)

-Dave
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Just an idea that I have not tried...

The synthetic example you have in your post looks like a broom head.  So, what about cutting up some new broom heads?

The link below is an example from Amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-3686703-...r=8-3&th=1

$7.49 and Multiple color options 
Size listed is unclear, bristles length 8”

Anyway, this idea may be a possibility... cut the up to fit the openings you have

Just an idea... hope you find a solution that work.  

I like look of your knife block
Those black plastic inserts work ok, but not amazing, in my opinion. I used a generic knife block with one for years before I got around to making a magnetic block.

They offer flexibility in the arrangement and sizes of knives, which is nice. I found that I couldn't cram as many in as I expected. Also, with more knives (and just through time) those black "straws" begin to get bent and stuck down below the top surface, making it more difficult to get knives in. Doesn't happen to a whole lot of them, but enough to get annoying eventually. I'm not sure how rough/gentle the plastic is on the knife edges, but I suspect it's not bad.

I used the knife block for about 10 years. Ideally, I think replacing the insert every 5-7 years would have worked better for my use.

Good luck!
Tyler
I would just slot some inserts in solid wood.  Anything else sounds like it will require maintenance.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
not sure about durability, but could check out plastic welding rods.  
Smile
Why mess with success? Use the same material as before.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.