Repairing base molding
Daughter and her husband are living in Stuttgart, Germany.  She contacted me yesterday about an "Oops" in their apartment; bottom line is that there is now a large divot in the base molding, and they want to repair it themselves. 

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

I'm not certain of the material; appears to be an MDF-like base molding.  If it was here, I'd take care of it using a premixed patching material.  

Just so happens that my daughter is traveling back here on New Year's.  I told her I'd set her up with repair materials and she can take them back for the fix.  So I'm looking for a patching material that is powder-based, water-mixed, and will stick to just about anything.  She needs to be able to pack a container into her luggage when she returns to Germany.

I'm looking at Durham's Water Putty.  Link

I've never used it before.  The instructions say it will stick to just about anything, dries fast, and can be shaped with a putty knife while soft, and sanded after fully cured.

Anybody have any experience with Durham's or is there another product we should use?
My vote is Durhams, good stuff.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Good luck getting that through TSA.
VH07V  
(12-19-2020, 08:47 PM)EightFingers Wrote: Good luck getting that through TSA.

Why?  Because of what it looks like?  According to the SDS, the only hazard listed is possible silicate dust inhalation; it's not flammable; no flashpoint; no VOCs; no special notes to medical personnel.
They could fix that with some hot mud, some 180g sand paper and a sanding block. The dry 20 minute join compound, mix it a little dry..
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-20-2020, 05:48 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: They could fix that with some hot mud, some 180g sand paper and a sanding block. The dry 20 minute join compound, mix it a little dry..

Just go to a paint and hardware store and some powered mix, doesn't have to be very hard and buy it there.  It will save a lot of time while waiting for the authorities to figure out what the white powder is.     If you do take it don't use the term joint compound.     Roly
Durham's Rockhard is as hard as a rock once it sets up and is very difficult to sand.  I wouldn't use it for that.  If I were here I'd use Bondo, but that's not something she'll be able to take back with her.  

Joint compound, as already recommended, or plaster of Paris should be easy to get over there and will work fine.  You could give her a contour gage to take back.  Use that to trace the outline of the molding onto a piece of stiff plastic, cut that out with a knife, and use it to profile the wet joint compound or P of P to match the rest of the molding.  That will greatly reduce the amount of sanding needed. 

John
My vote would be for Durhams also but I agree she probably wouldn't be allowed to bring it on an airplane. They would have no way to know if it was what the package said or if it had been altered. I would think if it was not available there she could buy on the web and have it shiped to her. Not worth the probable hasle for her to bring it with her.
I vote for a Bondo like product. Surely you can buy something like it in Germany. I used Durham's Water Putty many years ago and didn't find it very good. It was easy to work with but did not stay put and was not very strong. I guess new formulations could be improved. I think you are asking for trouble trying to carry something like that in your baggage. TSA is going to be very suspicious.
I think if you fill it in somewhat close to shape and paint it nobody will notice it except you.   Roly