Water resistant finish over hammer veneer?
I am thinking about hammer veneering a small cocktail table.  I don't have my vacuum press but I do have hide glue (and I've never hammer veneered).  Are there any special considerations when finishing over veneer that has been hammer veneered?  I want to apply something that will resist alcohol, beer, and water.

Thanks,
Paul
Hide glue is about the most forgiving glue when it comes to finishing, so there shouldn't be any problems (based on my experience of never having hammer veneered anything). For a finish, unless you want to get something exotic like a catalyzed finish of some type, I think I'd just go with a good oil based varnish.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
AFAIK, you can finish with anything.  Once the glue is dry nothing is going to harm it other than water and heat.  A water based polyurethane would be a good choice.

BTW, I've just finished making some veneered boxes, my first venture into hammer veneering.  I think you'll like it.  The learning curve is not that great, and now that I've got my feet wet, its the only way I'm going from now on.

I'm also going to use a lot more hide glue for general gluing.  I better, 'cause Santa is bring me a Hold Heet pot. :-)

Only because you said hide glue, not "hot hide glue" I will mention it has to be hide glue you make from scratch. You can't hammer veneer with Titebond Hide glue or Old Brown Glue.
(12-22-2020, 10:06 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Only because you said hide glue, not "hot hide glue" I will mention it has to be hide glue you make from scratch.  You can't hammer veneer with Titebond Hide glue or Old Brown Glue.

Yes, I'll be using hot hide glue (this is how unfamiliar I am with the process but filling in the gaps with lots of YouTube.)

Thanks both.

Paul
Paul,

Check out Patrick Edwards he's got very good info on HHG and how to use it.  I buy it from him in small quantities.  

Also, over on LumberJocks, Shipwright has a lot of good info.