Upgrading Drill Press - Suggestions
(12-21-2020, 06:50 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The more hp the better! This also translates into greater torque at lower speeds with larger bits. 

Longer quill travel is another bonus when discovered. The Nova Voyager has 6” where most others have around 3”. This means that there is less disruption when changing up sizes of drill bits.

Regards from Perth

Derek

WOW!.  That is great - 6" of travel. Seems I always have to raise the table an inch to drill a hole.

My other drill press is a bench top Delta with maybe a 1/2  hp motor. It is under powered for larger bits (forstner bits). Currently the only time this gets used is for pilot holes, branding iron press, taking up space and dust collecting.

I really appreciate all the input. Nova and Powermatic were both at the top of the list however with numerous poor reviews at Amazon, etc I have been hesitant about pulling the trigger.  Nova Voyager seems to be back in the number one spot.

Thanks,
Bud
My 1941 17" Delta floor model press has a 3/4hp motor that is original to the machine. I added a Woodpeckers table and fence to it and love it.

I paid $200 for it six years ago in the DC area.
Semper fi,
Brad

Don't know if you're wanting a color coordinated machine or just a good DP for an excellent price.   I bought a floor model DP from THESE GUYS about 40 years ago and its been an excellent tool.
The Nova seems to have a lot of complaints about there customer service????
Try using search tempest.com I have found many items to pickup along my travels. I’ve recently cobbled together PM1200 drill press with 2 different models. It works with Vfd ok the reeves drive motor pulley is the weak link on the PM’s. I’ve had several of each delta, pm, walker all are good-I would rather stay with step pulleys with 3phase motor+Vfd. 3/4 hp will do almost all you need.
Those old Powermatic 15" VS presses always sold for the same thing that the Powermatic 66 table saw did.  That puts the press at above $3K in today's money, so they are well worth restoring.  I've recently got one with the big production table.  Weighs 380 lbs.  Way too heavy for two guys unless they're dancing with it.  (you drill press movers know what I'm talking about).
(12-23-2020, 05:28 PM)efmrrt Wrote: WOW!.  That is great - 6" of travel. Seems I always have to raise the table an inch to drill a hole.

My other drill press is a bench top Delta with maybe a 1/2  hp motor. It is under powered for larger bits (forstner bits). Currently the only time this gets used is for pilot holes, branding iron press, taking up space and dust collecting.

I really appreciate all the input. Nova and Powermatic were both at the top of the list however with numerous poor reviews at Amazon, etc I have been hesitant about pulling the trigger.  Nova Voyager seems to be back in the number one spot.

Thanks,
Bud

FWIW - the 18" Delta also has a 6 in. Quill Stroke.

Delta 18 in. Floor Standing Drill Press with Worklight, Laser and 16-Speeds-18-900L - The Home Depot
See ya later,
Bill
(12-31-2020, 10:05 PM)Bill_de Wrote: FWIW - the 18" Delta also has a 6 in. Quill Stroke.

Delta 18 in. Floor Standing Drill Press with Worklight, Laser and 16-Speeds-18-900L - The Home Depot

I like the grooved belt and Auto-Tensioning Belt. The depth stop looks interesting too. They all seem to be around the same price.

I've been searching the local ad sites and social media sites and only finding the cheap Taiwanese drill presses.  Also given the fact that I don't have a lot of extra time these days its going to be one that's pretty ready to go.
efmrrt Wrote:
WOW!.  That is great - 6" of travel. Seems I always have to raise the table an inch to drill a hole.

Keep a few pieces of scrap plywood of various thicknesses under or near the drill press.

Much faster, especially for only a hole or two, to stack whatever you need underneath.
    Makes for a good backing for clean exits too.

I even make 'sub-fences' to hold things in different ways when needed.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(12-31-2020, 11:09 PM)efmrrt Wrote:  The depth stop looks interesting too. They all seem to be around the same price.

My first drill press had the depth stop that looked more refined. After getting the Delta I saw Norm using gauge blocks with the Delta depth stop. Makes it easy and accurate. 

---
See ya later,
Bill