Osborne Miter guage
I'm pretty good about taking care of my tools, clean, oil, wax on a regular bases.  One thing I didn't think about is my Osborne.  The little allan screws need to be tighten every once in a while - I did not know that.  I was working on a picture frame and noticed that the gauge was a bit loose - about 1 deg.  I was able to fit it but I was a bit surprised by them loosening.   Then I checked my MS - it was out also - it was dead on when I bought it earlier this year.  I guess I am going to have to be more attentive. 

This is just a heads up not to ignore that part of your tools.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
That is good advice, John.

I started out my woodworking journey in military base wood hobby shops.  The shop managers at the first two I was associated with always carried carpenter's rules and try squares in their shop aprons, and they advised me to do so as well; they were never 100% sure that the user who just came off a machine didn't do something that would have affected alignment so they always checked fence settings/square and such.  After I got "bit" a couple times when I didn't check, I began doing the same as those shop managers.

It's a habit I carry today, long after I got my own shop.  I am blessed with "mostly" good machines, but when I need to be fussy about accuracy of a cut, I get out the (now old) carpenter's rule or a plastic drafting triangle to double check fence measures or square of the blade or the fence.
The Osborne is a GREAT tool. Even though I’m the only one in the shop, I check it with a square regularly. Have had to re-square it occasionally. The other most important tool is the digital gauge to make sure the blade is correct angle, 90, 45, 7, whatever.
I'm considering an Osborne, glad to hear the positive comments.
(12-23-2020, 11:21 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I'm considering an Osborne, glad to hear the positive comments.

One thing to consider is that the gauge can move left and right.  You can get the bar right next to the blade if you wish.  I love the length stop.  The other nice thing is it extends to 40" I believe. 

One thing to remember also is when you do a 45 and you change the bar to be next to the blade return the bar back to it's normal place - you will cut through the bar if you forget.  I have done that more than once.  Since it's AL it doesn't hurt the blade. 

IMO worth the $$$
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(12-23-2020, 03:29 PM)John Mihich Wrote: One thing to remember also is when you do a 45 and you change the bar to be next to the blade return the bar back to it's normal place - you will cut through the bar if you forget.  I have done that more than once.  Since it's AL it doesn't hurt the blade. 

Aluminum extrusions will set off a SawStop brake and save the extrusion from being damaged.  The blade doesn't get off so easy, though.  DAMHIKT!
+1 to wxman's story
jerry
+2 to wxmans story