Keeping Wood Screws Tight
Have some cabinet height stools in the kitchen.  Typical screw together assembly from a department store.  

Here's my predicament and question:

The legs on the stools are connected to the seat of the stools by a single, coarse, hex socket screw that goes into the corner of the leg.  Tightening the screw draws the legs into position.  This is a typical arrangement of attachment on mid-level table legs as well, I believe. 

The problem is the vibration, movement, kids wiggling, etc. on the stools are loosening the screws, which in turn make the stools very wobbly.  Can anything be done to keep the screws tight?  The wood in the legs is still holding the screws very well, so if I could just keep the screws tight, I think my problem would go away.  

Are chemical means my answer?  Some kind of adhesive that binds the screw to the leg?  I don't every anticipate having to disassemble the stools.

My stupid simple idea is just to buy a bunch of 4mm "L" shaped wrenches.  Put one end into the screw and staple the other end to the bottom of the stool seat?  

Anybody got a better idea?  Merry Christmas Everyone !
Epoxy comes to mind. A small amount in the hole, then install the screw.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(12-25-2020, 08:14 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Have some cabinet height stools in the kitchen.  Typical screw together assembly from a department store.  

The legs on the stools are connected to the seat of the stools by a single, coarse, hex socket screw that goes into the corner of the leg.  Tightening the screw draws the legs into position.  This is a typical arrangement of attachment on mid-level table legs as well, I believe. 

The problem is the vibration, movement, kids wiggling, etc. on the stools are loosening the screws, which in turn make the stools very wobbly.  Can anything be done to keep the screws tight?  The wood in the legs is still holding the screws very well, so if I could just keep the screws tight, I think my problem would go away.  

Are chemical means my answer?  Some kind of adhesive that binds the screw to the leg?  I don't every anticipate having to disassemble the stools.

My stupid simple idea is just to buy a bunch of 4mm "L" shaped wrenches.  Put one end into the screw and staple the other end to the bottom of the stool seat?  

Are they screws themselves actually turning?? I would use a marking pen and put a "witness mark" on the screw in line with one on the leg to determine if they are backing out, causing the "wobble"..If they are not turning, the screws must be pulling out of the wood..and if that is the case, I would use epoxy {not on the threads of the screw] but between the wood of the seat and the leg. If you glue the screw in, you will never be able to tighten them again.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-25-2020, 08:14 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Have some cabinet height stools in the kitchen.  Typical screw together assembly from a department store.  

Moisture content changes and kids' wiggling butts are going to compress wood, but not steel.  They will loosen in the wood, which is why they may even rotate a bit.  Rather imagine the expansion of epoxy dowels - which is what you'd be creating - might eventually result in compressing a larger circle of wood.  Should work short-term.  I'd also suggest a washer to spread the surface load a bit to help reduce wracking stress.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Blue loctite might work for you.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-26-2020, 09:46 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Blue loctite might work for you.

That would be my first choice too.  It is the exact application that it was designed for and it is reversible.  Epoxy would not be reversible (not easily).

Of course, it could be that the screw is not loosening, but that the wood is compressing due to the constant rocking.  That could make it seem to have loosened.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Will the blue loctite actually bond to wood?
Have you considered lock washers? Toothed or split
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
think id use some jb weld. theres quite a few varieties and one for this purpose
https://www.jbweld.com/products
(12-28-2020, 07:18 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Will the blue loctite actually bond to wood?

The Loctite would be applied to the threads on the screw to prevent the machine screw from loosening.  If this is a wood screw that would not work.

This image shows the application:

[Image: R53-4_5_9.new.original.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.