Sea urchin ornaments
Next year I would like to sell some sea urchin ornaments so thought I may get started on production over the winter. Have a few questions. First where is a good place to buy them??  What types are good to use??  I have seen colored ones, how do you color or dye them?? I also seen some fancy finials. Is this something that sells better>> Do you fill them to keep from being fragile and if so with what?? How do you attach finials. ??  I know alot of questions but basically looking for pointers and tips to get started. Also if you have photos I would love to see them. Thanks in advance.
John T.
Hi John
I get mine from Cindy Drozda: http://www.cindydrozda.com/html/Sea_Urchins.html

You can buy them on Amazon but the size and quality vary greatly. Cindy also has some instructions on how to prepare the shells. I like the Sputnik shells the best and they have a beautiful natural color so I've never dyed any, but some people do.

It's been a couple of years since I've made any but here's the only picture I could find. The one on the left is purple heart, next one to the right isn't a shell but it was my first attempt making a segmented globe. It's curly maple and ebony with ebony finials (ended up dropping and breaking it!). The last two are Sputnik shells with ebonized maple finial and curly maple finial with some shade of brown dye (I don't remember the color).

I hope this helps. Good luck and post pictures!

Frank

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-26-2020, 05:52 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Hi John
I get mine from Cindy Drozda: http://www.cindydrozda.com/html/Sea_Urchins.html

You can buy them on Amazon but the size and quality vary greatly. Cindy also has some instructions on how to prepare the shells. I like the Sputnik shells the best and they have a beautiful natural color so I've never dyed any, but some people do.

It's been a couple of years since I've made any but here's the only picture I could find. The one on the left is purple heart, next one to the right isn't a shell but it was my first attempt making a segmented globe. It's curly maple and ebony with ebony finials (ended up dropping and breaking it!). The last two are Sputnik shells with ebonized maple finial and curly maple finial with some shade of brown dye (I don't remember the color).

I hope this helps. Good luck and post pictures!

Frank

Thank you Frank and very nice ornaments. It helps giving me ideas. I do want to try these. I think they are cool looking.
John T.
I saw Cindy do a demo in Lanc. Pa a few years back. As I recall she chamfered both openings. Did install an internal support. The cap for the finial and base covered that support. I got an urchin from craft supply and was surprised how small a “medium” really is
I make a lot of sea urchin ornaments. I get mine from eBay. The Sputnik ones are thicker and less fragile than others, but I use several kinds.
(12-25-2020, 11:23 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Next year I would like to sell some sea urchin ornaments so thought I may get started on production over the winter. Have a few questions. First where is a good place to buy them??  What types are good to use??  I have seen colored ones, how do you color or dye them?? I also seen some fancy finials. Is this something that sells better>> Do you fill them to keep from being fragile and if so with what?? How do you attach finials. ??  I know alot of questions but basically looking for pointers and tips to get started. Also if you have photos I would love to see them. Thanks in advance.

I have done several over the years.Do a search on Craft Supply.I have never coloured them and leave them open.I attach the finials with epoxy.I thought I had some photos,but can't find them.If I do I will send them to you.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member

(12-25-2020, 11:23 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Next year I would like to sell some sea urchin ornaments so thought I may get started on production over the winter. Have a few questions. First where is a good place to buy them??  What types are good to use??  I have seen colored ones, how do you color or dye them?? I also seen some fancy finials. Is this something that sells better>> Do you fill them to keep from being fragile and if so with what?? How do you attach finials. ??  I know alot of questions but basically looking for pointers and tips to get started. Also if you have photos I would love to see them. Thanks in advance.

John, the easiest way I have found to join the finials and the top is to put tenons on each and join them within the shell itself using a short hollow piece of wood and the tenon is inserted from both ends.  Hopes this makes sense.  Sorry for the poor pictures, not much light out today!

Chuck

Attached Files Image(s)

In regards to your other question or "being fragile", I coat all of my shells with a PVA solution used by archeologist to preserve fossils.  It comes as PVA beads that are dissolved in Acetone.   My source is no longer available but it looks like you can obtain it here   https://www.fossilshack.com/store/p2243/vinac.html

Chuck

John

Look at YouTube they have alot of videos about them and others as well.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.