iPad drawing program for simple wood projects
I signed up for free sketchup on my iPad. All I get is a rotating design. I assume Sketchup doesn’t run an iPad. Looking in the App Store I see an app called WoodPickers.  anyone use it? And am I wrong about the web based free sketchup not working on an iPad?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
I don't have an iPad, and can't talk to whether or not it will run on an iPad.  Based on my experience on my MacBook, I don't see how one could use Sketchup on an iPad.

I began looking at Sketchup (free version) on my MacBook about 6 weeks ago to begin designing a suit of bedroom furniture.  I've never used a CAD program before.

I watched a couple of online YouTube tutorials aimed at beginners like me.  After a few hours, I could do some basic things, but I was still far off from workable sketches; maybe 20-30 hours of practice and learning by my estimate.  I really didn't have the time then, so I reverted back to graph paper, ruler, and pencil.

It's entirely possible, perhaps even likely, that I'm just slow grasping the knobology of the application.  Some comments I read online indicate that a firm grasp (memorization) of shortcut keystrokes is going to be needed to really make the program sing and become a true timesaver.

I still have an interest in Sketchup, but it's going to have to be in the dead of winter when there's absolutely nothing else to do but sit down and learn it.
SketchUp doesn't really work on an iPad mainly due to the user input options available. Even the free web version needs a keyboard and some sort of pointing device, ideally a 3-button mouse. SketchUp Freewill work on even low end notebooks such as Chrome Books so if you need a cheap device for modeling your woodworking projects, that might be an option for you.

@WxMan, if you decide you want to learn SketchUp of whatever version, drop me a PM and I'll help you out.
When it comes to learning a new software I could have written every word you did. It’s why I posted because I thought I was missing something simple. 

What I’m after is designing storage cabinet inserts in a former custom beer cooler. The inserts will each be different for what I to store in them. For example one will be all sanding supplies, another will be all finishes and so on for shop items. For the time being I’ll resort to paper, ruler and pencil. Will try the Sketchup free on Windows 10 desktop. I was hoping the iPad so it could be with me in the shop.
Jim

There is a good chance
(12-26-2020, 08:37 AM)stoppy Wrote: Will try the Sketchup free on Windows 10 desktop. I was hoping the iPad so it could be with me in the shop.

If you'd be using your Win10 desktop machine, you could also use SketchUp 2017 Make. Like the free web version it's available for hobbyist use. Unlike SketchUp Free, SketchUp Make has the facility to use extensions. If you need a cut list or other information out of it, Make would be the better option.
(12-26-2020, 09:18 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: If you'd be using your Win10 desktop machine, you could also use SketchUp 2017 Make. It's still available for hobbyist use. Unlike SketchUp Free, SketchUp Make has the facility to use extensions. If you need a cut list or other information out of it, Make would be the better option.

Opened the free version on this desktop. Will attempt to learn it.
Jim

There is a good chance
(12-26-2020, 09:30 AM)stoppy Wrote: Opened the free version on this desktop. Will attempt to learn it.

If you need a hand, let me know in a PM.
(12-26-2020, 08:33 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: @WxMan, if you decide you want to learn SketchUp of whatever version, drop me a PM and I'll help you out.

Thanks...I'll keep that in mind.  I probably will get back to that.  I really would like to have a way to easily get drawings and have the math checked out.  Sketchup seemed like the answer to me, but the initial learning curve looks significant.

Do you have any links to decent tutorials that you would recommend?
(12-27-2020, 01:43 PM)WxMan Wrote: Thanks...I'll keep that in mind.  I probably will get back to that.  I really would like to have a way to easily get drawings and have the math checked out.  Sketchup seemed like the answer to me, but the initial learning curve looks significant.

Do you have any links to decent tutorials that you would recommend?

I'll send you a PM with some links.
(12-27-2020, 01:52 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: I'll send you a PM with some links.

Got the PM, thanks.  I'll look at the possibilities over the next couple days.