Bosch 12v angle drill for sanding?
Getting back into woodturning after a 10+ year hiatus. Looking at getting into power sanding, just ordered one of these: https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-recon...2a-rt.html Anyone have any experience using one for sanding?
(12-26-2020, 09:56 PM)ACarse Wrote: Getting back into woodturning after a 10+ year hiatus. Looking at getting into power sanding, just ordered one of these: https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-recon...2a-rt.html Anyone have any experience using one for sanding?

I have a Ryobi right angle drill and tried using it for sanding once on the lathe, not at all impressed with the results.  I ended up getting a 1/4" pneumatic right angle grinder and a hook and loop pad to use on it.  When turning something on the lathe, I use that and it works out fine.
This is what I'm talking about: Rockwood Right Angle Air Die Grinder (eastwood.com)
(12-26-2020, 09:56 PM)ACarse Wrote: Getting back into woodturning after a 10+ year hiatus. Looking at getting into power sanding, just ordered one of these: https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-recon...2a-rt.html Anyone have any experience using one for sanding?

It will actually assume a 45 degree angle, which is the most useful for insides of bowls.  Use a wooden toolrest to set it on rather than chew it up hitting iron, and get something like powerlock discs over velcro.   When final sanding in your lap rather than with the lathe rotating, it's nicer than my flex shaft.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I don’t think it’ll spin fast enough for effective sanding. 

The rpm’s are rather low.

Let us know how get on with it though.
(12-27-2020, 10:02 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I don’t think it’ll spin fast enough for effective sanding. 

The rpm’s are rather low.
How fast can you sand by hand?
You know that’s what I thought at first but the RPM specs are the same as the Sioux/Milwaukee that so many use. (1300rpm). I ordered the ultimate sanding kit from woodturners wonders to go along with it. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Sawdust will eventually kill a drill or any other electric motor/tool.
So to keep from destroying my good drills, I bought one of these angle drills from Harbor Fright.
CHICAGO ELECTRIC 3/8 In. Variable Speed Reversible Close Quarters Drill.
With a discount coupon it can be had for around $23.00.
If you buy the warranty, you'll have a lifetime drill no matter how much sawdust it eats 
Big Grin
Harbor Fright angle drill.
The battery provides about 1/4 the life of a standard Bosch 18V drill. You'll be swapping out batteries forever. As well, the torque rating will limit how much pressure you can apply when sanding. Seems kind of stubby to reach into deeper bowls or bowls with taller sides. The Harbor Freight one is a good deal for an angled drill for sanding.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-30-2020, 02:19 PM)AHill Wrote: The battery provides about 1/4 the life of a standard Bosch 18V drill.  You'll be swapping out batteries forever.  As well, the torque rating will limit how much pressure you can apply when sanding.  Seems kind of stubby to reach into deeper bowls or bowls with taller sides.  The Harbor Freight one is a good deal for an angled drill for sanding.

Everywhere I see cautions against putting any extra pressure on the tool when sanding wood.  Especially with hook and loop.  Simple reason is that wood will case-harden from the frictional heat generated, even to the point of melting hook and loop.  You want to get the dust out of the way, not press it into the wood and burnish it.  Torque is not a problem. Touch the surface, don't press it.  That's why I like to support the tool on the rest rather than against the work.  

The ability to angle other than 90 is also a benefit, especially in work deeper than wide.   That's why the angled Sioux-Type drills are so popular - knuckle-clearance.
I use the cheap harbor freight 1/4" angle drill. Only on my second one in 15 years. Do quite a bit of corian. That dust can be brutal. They work great for me,just change paper as it wears out and light pressure to let the sandpaper do it's job. Pressing hard does not help