Anyone get sucked into the spoon carving rabbit hole?
I got a spoon carving set for Christmas. Tried it out. It's really rather fun. I took a small chunk of cherry I had and made a little round bowl spoon, complete with rat tail on the bottom.

Got the Beaver Craft set with a hook knife, bent gouge and carving knife. They actually seem to be of pretty good quality, based on initial observations. Not sure how well they will hold an edge. Machining looks good. Came reasonably sharp, a little time on the black arkansas stone and strop and they were very sharp. Very nice handles that look like white oak. They needed just a little sanding and a finish, if you go in for finishes on tool handles.

The only down side it they seem to be more suited to larger spoons. Think kitchen spoon rather than table spoon. I would like the gouge to be a little smaller, and a tighter radius on the hook knife. Still, for a beginner set, it seems rather good. $45 on Amazon.

[Image: 81Z-hJ2v7PL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Daughter #2 bought me a book on spoon carving for Christmas-haven’t looked at it, yet.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Yes, I've made a few kitchen utensils, and I get asked for them from time to time.

LOML has suggested we team up and produce some (several dozen? more?) sets of kitchen utensils and associated baskets for a couple craft shows later in 2021. 

I've had a spoon carving set like that on my Amazon list for quite some time.  I had seen the Beavercraft branded set, but was a bit leary of quality at that price point.

I picked up set of Flexcut carving knives and a Pfeil #7 Spoon gouge a few months ago.  I'll be figuring those out on some cherry, walnut, and apple billets I have set aside.  I have some other tools that i've been experimenting with to make the process go faster; kutzall carbide burrs most notably.
Carving a spoon-spatula for Kris on our campouts from split firewood was a favorite relaxation after the hectic packing, drive, and setup. However, I can't see eating from one outside of a taste while cooking; and another dust trap display does not appeal. They are pretty with artwork.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(12-27-2020, 01:58 AM)clovishound Wrote: I got a spoon carving set for Christmas. Tried it out. It's really rather fun. I took a small chunk of cherry I had and made a little round bowl spoon, complete with rat tail on the bottom.

Got the Beaver Craft set with a hook knife, bent gouge and carving knife. They actually seem to be of pretty good quality, based on initial observations. Not sure how well they will hold an edge. Machining looks good. Came reasonably sharp, a little time on the black arkansas stone and strop and they were very sharp. Very nice handles that look like white oak. They needed just a little sanding and a finish, if you go in for finishes on tool handles.

The only down side it they seem to be more suited to larger spoons. Think kitchen spoon rather than table spoon. I would like the gouge to be a little smaller, and a tighter radius on the hook knife. Still, for a beginner set, it seems rather good. $45 on Amazon.

Warren cutlery sells a hook knife blade that you can use to make a very good spoon carving knife..I agree that the "hook" on most factory made knives is too large, and this one does a better job for me when I make spoons. All Warren blades are first class....equal to any that I know of on the market these days. They have been in business for well over fifty years..And they sell handles for them if you wanted to go that route. This one is also made in a right hand version

https://warrencutlery.com/collections/wa...oducts/233
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

It got me hooked as well. I got a sloyld knife and hook knife from Del Stubbs at pinewood forge for xmas one year and love them. When my kids got interested I followed Timberwolf’s advice and ordered some blades from Warren and made some handles. Just gave my daughter hers for xmas this year.

Attached Files Image(s)

''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
(12-27-2020, 07:50 PM)imapseudonym Wrote: It got me hooked as well. I got a sloyld knife and hook knife from Del Stubbs at pinewood forge for xmas one year and love them. When my kids got interested I followed Timberwolf’s advice and ordered some blades from Warren and made some handles. Just gave my daughter hers for xmas this year.

Sweet !!!!!!!!! Great looking knives!!!!!! And fun to make...make 'em as plain or as fancy as you want...I watched a Helvie laminated wood handled detail knife go for $175.00 on Ebay recently!!!!
Big eek  
Big eek  It's the name that "sells" it...IMO it is no better than one you can make yourself for peanuts...I have made many dozens of them over the years...using "store bought" and self made blades that I hardened and tempered. {Paddle bits can make great gouges}..and of course I have bought many of them from various sources...I admit to being a "knife aholic".....
Crazy  
Big Grin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-ad6.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-adb.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Yep, Jack.  You have a knife problem.
I am going to ignore this. I am going to ignore this. etc. It looks interesting
(12-29-2020, 05:54 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Yep, Jack.  You have a knife problem.
That's not even half of them in the photos, Phil....I have cigar boxes full in addition.,...Still testing out the blades I make out of HSS...
Crazy
Crazy
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset