Anyone get sucked into the spoon carving rabbit hole?
(12-29-2020, 08:44 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I am going to ignore this.  I am going to ignore this. etc.  It looks interesting

I don't think it can be cured once you catch it....
Winkgrin
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I did a couple of spoons with a straight blade pocket knife.  They came out pretty good.  You don't need all those shiny fancy knives that look like so much fun.
(12-30-2020, 08:26 AM)stav Wrote: I did a couple of spoons with a straight blade pocket knife.  They came out pretty good.  You don't need all those shiny fancy knives that look like so much fun.

What's "need" got to do with it ?????
Crazy
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-29-2020, 10:41 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: [Image: fullsizeoutput-ad6.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-adb.jpg]

Big eek
Big eek  Add 8 or 9 hours of careful arrangement and you'ld have the next Lee Valley cover shot!  Almost makes we wonder which part is more fun - collecting the knives or using them to make the spoons?
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
(12-30-2020, 10:25 AM)imapseudonym Wrote:
Big eek
Big eek  Add 8 or 9 hours of careful arrangement and you'ld have the next Lee Valley cover shot!  Almost makes we wonder which part is more fun - collecting the knives or using them to make the spoons?

Have to be careful that spoon carving doesn't morph into something like caricature carving..after all, you have to do "something" constructive with all the knives you make...
Crazy
Crazy
Big Grin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-f56.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I think I made a mistake a couple days ago. I was in Wally World and looked to see what hatchets they had, as I would like to try my hand at carving green wood. All they had was their house brand camping stuff. It was cheap so I took one home. Not really a carving hatchet and the steel may not hold an edge that well. I got rid of the micro bevel, and brought the primary bevel down some and then got it sharp and stropped it.

It cuts dry wood OK, but don't have any wet wood to try it out on. I've seen where folks take a standard hatchet and cut them up to carving hatchet shape. I doubt they work much different, outside of changing the bevel angle, and making the head lighter.

I took the latest spoon I made to work to show to a couple co workers. I now have a bunch of them wanting me to make them kitchen spoons. I made the mistake of showing them the one from curly maple I had laying around. That's some pretty stuff. I think it's too thin (3/4") to make a kichen spoon from.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(01-01-2021, 01:52 AM)clovishound Wrote: I think I made a mistake a couple days ago. I was in Wally World and looked to see what hatchets they had, as I would like to try my hand at carving green wood. All they had was their house brand camping stuff. It was cheap so I took one home. Not really a carving hatchet and the steel may not hold an edge that well. I got rid of the micro bevel, and brought the primary bevel down some and then got it sharp and stropped it.

It cuts dry wood OK, but don't have any wet wood to try it out on. I've seen where folks take a standard hatchet and cut them up to carving hatchet shape. I doubt they work much different, outside of changing the bevel angle, and making the head lighter.

I took the latest spoon I made to work to show to a couple co workers. I now have a bunch of them wanting me to make them kitchen spoons. I made the mistake of showing them the one from curly maple I had laying around. That's some pretty stuff. I think it's too thin (3/4") to make a kichen spoon from.

3/4 is too thin for my taste.  Some people are "finesse" spoon carvers.  I'm still in the "rough" stage, so I need to start with some thicker stock then sneak up on it.
(01-01-2021, 08:29 AM)WxMan Wrote: 3/4 is too thin for my taste.  Some people are "finesse" spoon carvers.  I'm still in the "rough" stage, so I need to start with some thicker stock then sneak up on it.

For eating sized spoons, 3/4" is plenty IMHO. Even one with a fair amount of crank had lots of material to work with. I'm still doing a lot of the roughing out with a bandsaw, so sneaking up is not terribly difficult.

I should probably walk the neighborhood to see if there is any wood out on the curb.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
The spoons I have done are cooking utensils, not eating utensils.