Flexible drum sander speed?
For a flexible drum sander mandrel is a 1725 motor speed essential?

I have a 3450 rpm grinder I don’t use, that I could convert to permanent drum sander use.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(12-28-2020, 05:18 AM)stoppy Wrote: For a flexible drum sander mandrel is a 1725 motor speed essential?

I have a 3450 rpm grinder I don’t use, that I could convert to permanent drum sander use.

Depends on the drum rating, I suppose.  Mine is on  3450 JET, with a mop on the other end.  Rated 5K.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(12-28-2020, 06:12 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Depends on the drum rating, I suppose.  Mine is on  3450 JET, with a mop on the other end.  Rated 5K.

That is how I want to set it up. Mandrel on one side and flap sander on the other. What brand mandrel do you have?
Jim

There is a good chance
(12-28-2020, 08:31 AM)stoppy Wrote: That is how I want to set it up. Mandrel on one side and flap sander on the other. What brand mandrel do you have?

Would not know.  Think it was ordered through Woodcraft 20 years or so ago.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I think you will find 3450 rpm too fast for the flex drum sanders.  They suggest a dual speed grinder, but a slow speed grinder works well.  I started with an offbrand grinder and found the shaft diameter was off.  Luckily, I dropped it on concrete and broke the housing.  The Rikon grinder is has tighter tolerances.  I did cut off the grinder threads in order to fit the Klingspor mop sander mandrels onto the shaft.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
(12-28-2020, 08:31 AM)stoppy Wrote: That is how I want to set it up. Mandrel on one side and flap sander on the other. What brand mandrel do you have?
3450 will work but it will be much more aggressive, Jim. You can quickly develop a "feel' for using it.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-01-2021, 09:14 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................................
3450 will work but it will be much more aggressive, Jim. You can quickly develop a "feel' for using it.

Jack, going to go with converting the old grinder and learn to develop a light touch.
Jim

There is a good chance