Purchase advice
Hi. After RVing full time for several years, we bought a house and I am setting up a shop. I'm fixing to pull the trigger on a table saw, bandsaw, jointer, and dust collector. Leaning towards Powermatic. It seems I can order on-line, get a 10% veteran discount and free delivery to the local store. Any thoughts on that concept? Any thoughts on the whole plan?  Grizzly has a showroom about 2.5 hours from me but I seem to read about a lot of issues with Grizzly. Any advice? Thanks.
Victor

"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
You mighty consider a SawStop table saw, they are priced competitively with PM but with the potential to save your finger(s) and more. They are very well engineered, fit and finish is top notch and are just doggone good, solid saws. I have had a 3hp cabinet saw in my shop for about 8 years.

You won't find a lot of complaints about Grizzly on this board, many WWers here have their machines. I have a G0513 17" band saw, 2hp cyclone, G0733 lathe and a G0490 8" jointer. All have served me well. When parts have been needed they were in stock. I believe you'll find similar Griz equipment to be attractively priced to PM, even with the discount.

Enjoy your dive into making chips!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Welcome back to soon making sawdust again.  My wife often says that's all I make.  If I were in the market for woodworking equipment it would be used equipment first.  A used PM66 is at least as good as anything new PM currently makes in that catagory.  But if that's of no appeal then I would either get a SawStop or a slider.  Both are much safer options than a traditional TS.  If you end up buying a traditional TS then I'd get one with a guard you will use, or buy an aftermarket one you will.  

As for Grizzly, they are the only new machines I've purchased.  I was not impressed with the 1.5 HP shaper and eventually sold it, but the others have been great and I have never had a bit of trouble with any of them.  If you are looking for a really good all around bandsaw with amazing resaw capability I recommend you look at the G0636X.  European performance for far less.  40% less than the price of a comparable Powermatic.  

John
You're likely to get a wide range of answers.

If it was me, and if cost is not the biggest consideration (within reason), then I don't think I'd go all PM.

- Table saw:  As mentioned above, I'd look at SawStop.  Of course, one can say I'm biased as I already have one.  But as to quality, I don't think it's equalled in that class.  Cost is in the same range as Powermatic.  I've had my SS for nearly 9 years.

- Bandsaw:  Watching these forums over the past 20+ years, I don't think I recall a large Powermatic user-base.  Not saying that nobody has one, but that it hasn't been a significant topic.  Laguna and MiniMax seemed to be the "darlings" of the field for a while some years ago, but I can't put my finger on any one brand right now.  My bandsaw is a 14" Delta; one of the last USA-made saws before they sent production to Asia.  It's a decent saw; there are better.

- Jointer:  I think Powermatic is a good choice.  One thing I think, though, is that if I was buying new today, I'd opt for an 8" jointer with a helical head.  My jointer is Delta 6" manufactured in 1958.  I like it, though I do wish it was wider.

- Dust Collector:  I think I'd shop around for a good cyclone unit.  This is one of those things that I think needs to be selected to fit your specific shop layout.

Good luck and have fun with the new shop!
If you have to go to a store to pick it up, I will assume that they will load it for you. Do you have help to unload it? Those things are not light.

Powermatic has spent many years building its name - and you are paying for it.

What price safety? At Powermatic prices, there could be no question that I would buy a Sawstop. The puzzle factor arises when comparing Sawstop to Grizzly, et. al.

Don't see a planer in your list.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I would look for used first.
How large a dust collector are you looking for ? If something as large (and expensive) as a 3hp cyclone, besides Griz, i would look at Clear Vu and Oneida.
For a jointer I would first look for a parallell design, and second priority an index cutter head.
Depending on how assessable the shop is, i would looke for a large used bandsaw, space permitting. New i would look at Rikon. Their customer service is as good as Grizzly and WMH Tool group
My .02
Karl

All good points. The SawStop is the choice. Seems pretty obvious. I am strongly looking at a Powermatic helical head jointer. Had one before that impressed me. The bandsaw from Grizzly is appealing. Glad to hear it has performed well. As for dust collection, I am looking for a portable cannister model, probably in the 3 HP range. Electrician comes tomorrow to install 230 V outlets. If he can set it up so I can use two outlets at once, I will go with 3 HP 1 phase for the dust collector. If I am limited to just a single 220 V outlet at time then I'll step down the dust collector to a 110V model with 1.5 HP. 

Still debating whether to go Pro or ICS model on the SawStop. Leaning towards a sliding table but not clear about it yet.
Victor

I echo the sawstop recommendation. I know a lot of woodworkers, and none of those who own a sawstop has anything negative to say about it (if money was a source of complaint, they wouldn't have purchased it).

I wouldn't put all the eggs in one basket, and would prefer to cherry pick the best value machinery from Grizzly, PM and others. What if the single source supplier failed on certain aspect badly, and refused to correct its mistake?

For the same reason, I wouldn't go with Festool only, Ridgid only or whatever brand only. Most Festoolers heard about the story in which one guy was 101% Festool equipped, and for one reason or another, later ditched almost everything Festool (except may be the systainers?). I'm married to my wallet (and my spouse), but not to any particular brand or vendor.

As for the sawstop choice: PCS 3HP, 220V, but ICS 5HP if you plan to handle lots of hardwood 3" thick and more. ICS mobile base and overarm dust collection (not the floating tube) are a must.

Simon
I would be patient and shop for better quality, used machines in excellent condition.
Wood is good. 
Simon

Why the overarm and not the floating tube?
Is the 52" T-Glide worth the extra $100? Seems to me it would be.
Victor