Purchase advice
Update

Here's where I ended up.

Jointer: Powermatic 8" PH-882HH and as a side note: getting from the pallet to the mobile base was a bit of a project.

Bandsaw: Grizzly 17" G513X2, 2 HP, 22V, 1P. found a used one locally for a silly good price and free delivery so I jumped on it. Came with extra blades.

Dust: Shop Fox W1868, 2 HP, 22V, 1P, 9A, 1023 CFM.

SawStop: PCS 3HP, 1PH, 230V, 52" T-Glide, ICS mobile base, overarm dust collector. 

Still trying to sort out a drill press. Need to do a bit more research, apparently quill size is important. 

The electricians should finish up the 220V install this week (fingers crossed).
Victor

"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
(12-28-2020, 05:30 PM)TroutVictor Wrote: Hi. After RVing full time for several years, we bought a house and I am setting up a shop. I'm fixing to pull the trigger on a table saw, bandsaw, jointer, and dust collector. Leaning towards Powermatic. It seems I can order on-line, get a 10% veteran discount and free delivery to the local store. Any thoughts on that concept? Any thoughts on the whole plan?  Grizzly has a showroom about 2.5 hours from me but I seem to read about a lot of issues with Grizzly. Any advice? Thanks.

Here's the direction I'd go.  Of course, this depends on your budget. 

Table saw: SawStop PCS 3hp with 54" table

Bandsaw: Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic, Laguna, Rikon - I've got a 3hp Grizzly which I use mostly for resawing.  If you're doing more intricate work you may want a smaller bandsaw.

Jointer: Go with an 8" Jet or Powermatic with helical head.  Grizzly might also be a good option.  You're close to a store, go see what they look like

Dust Collector: I've got a Laguna C Flux 3hp which works well.  The only thing I wish I had was a larger dust collection bin.  If I'm on a tear planing or jointing wood that bin fills up very quickly.

Planer: I know it wasn't on your list but I've found mine to be indispensable.  I've got a 15" Jet with a helical head which is awesome.  I would expect a similar sized Powermatic or Grizzly would work just as well.  If your budget won't allow a 15" go with a DeWalt 13" or Ridgid 13".  They're bench top machines which get very good reviews.  But benchtop planers are NOISY!  You'll need hearing protection when using them.

That's my 2 cents.  Have fun shopping!
(01-16-2021, 04:48 PM)TroutVictor Wrote: Update

Here's where I ended up.

Jointer: Powermatic 8" PH-882HH and as a side note: getting from the pallet to the mobile base was a bit of a project.

Bandsaw: Grizzly 17" G513X2, 2 HP, 22V, 1P. found a used one locally for a silly good price and free delivery so I jumped on it. Came with extra blades.

SawStop: PCS 3HP, 1PH, 230V, 52" T-Glide, ICS mobile base, overarm dust collector. 

Still trying to sort out a drill press. Need to do a bit more research, apparently quill size is important. 

Congrats. You can now build (almost) anything!

I have a benchtop drill press and never find the need to have anything else, even though a floor model on big sale is a temptation sometimes.

Simon
(01-16-2021, 07:20 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Congrats. You can now build (almost) anything!

I have a benchtop drill press and never find the need to have anything else, even though a floor model on big sale is a temptation sometimes.

Simon

Simon

I'll be doing a fair bit of mortise and tenon joinery. In your opinion, is the benchtop up to the task of drilling the mortises out with a Fostner bit?

And btw, thanks for the feedback and advice. It has been very helpful.
Victor

"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
(01-17-2021, 09:43 AM)TroutVictor Wrote: Simon

I'll be doing a fair bit of mortise and tenon joinery. In your opinion, is the benchtop up to the task of drilling the mortises out with a Fostner bit?

And btw, thanks for the feedback and advice. It has been very helpful.

Yup, a bench top DP should easily handle Forstner bits.
Semper fi,
Brad

Good advice given so far, my only comment is to echo what another poster said up above...a planer is missing from your list and perhaps a miter saw. That would give you a table saw, band saw, jointer, planer and dust collection and you'd have all you need to get rough cut lumber to square stock, the basis for woodworking, at least in my opinion.
(01-16-2021, 04:48 PM)TroutVictor Wrote: Update

Here's where I ended up.

Looks like some nice choices there - congrats! You will enjoy that SS PCS with the ICS mobile base; very handy. Got mine on their Field Test Program. Did you pick up a planer or did I miss that one?

Doug