Copper vs CPVC &/or PEX
Looks like Pex is the winner!
I don’t have a problem with getting the more expensive tools and fittings to make the job easier and/or best quality. A house and peace of mind are well worth it.
The only concern I’ve seen about Pex has to do with exposure to chlorine or UV light. I hope to have either well water or cistern water and if I end up having to go with municipal water then a water softener and filtration will take care of the chlorine.
Thanks everyone!
Ray
I used pex on this old house. I haven't gotten everything quite switched over yet, but it was easy to run. Just made sure any place the tube touched was protected and I made copper riser tubes for the pex to go through, through the floor. Maybe not necessary but it makes me feel good.
I also re-ran the pex another way to include a shut off in the water heater closet that shuts down the water in the entire house.
I used the SS clamps.

I have yet to get under there and cut and remove the old galv piping so the foundation guy can work under there. And I want to re-run some gas pipe.
I am a copper person probably won't change.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-01-2021, 11:53 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I am a copper person probably won't change.

I hear ya! Copper is king
Ray
Last weekend I had to repair a pinhole leak in a 1/2" cold water line. It was right above a B.I. gas line so I thought it might be galvanic action but they were about 1/4" apart; definitely not touching. Had to repair another spot in 3/4" a few years ago but chalked it up to a cheap "Plumber" that used M instead of L on a water conditioner install. I do have hard water and am not using that conditioner due to excessive salt after it recycles. (The "clock" measures volume not time). If/when another leak occurs, I'll be replacing all the copper with PEX. Every fixture will be a homerun to a manifold, with 3/4" serving the Kitchen sinks and tub/showers. The 3/4" will reduce to two pairs of 1/2" under the sink for D.W. and ref.. Although shower valves are usually 1/2", the tub spout and "rain" showers don't function well with the small I.D. of 1/2" PEX crimp fittings.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
seems to me that copper has gotten a lot thinner over the years.  Starting to be concerning.
(01-05-2021, 01:42 PM)EricU Wrote: seems to me that copper has gotten a lot thinner over the years.  Starting to be concerning.

M,L, or K are your choices my main water supply is K it was not cheap but I think it will outlive me
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I only use type L. What I wonder about are the fittings - they seem to be getting thinner.
VH07V  
(12-31-2020, 12:32 PM)DaveHo Wrote: PEX hands downs.  More specifically, Uphonor AquaPEX with the Milwaukee expansion tool is the bomb.

+1 I bought the tool on eBay for under $300 but it took some patience to find a good one that cheap. SiouxChief now makes PEX-A and it’s cheaper than uponor, so check that out.

PEX is the way to go and PEX A is the right answer.

Next question is all home runs or sub manifolds? I’m doing sub-manifolds for bathrooms and kitchens. And I might run 3/4 to those manifolds, then 1/2 to the fixtures. I’m not doing the hot loop thing.

One of the chief benefits of PEX A is that the fittings and attachments have the same ID as the pipe. The pipe gets expanded to fit on the fittings, this means less flow restriction. Second, I think PEX A is more flexible and easier to work with than PEX B. Downside is tools, fittings and pipe are not available at the local home center.
I plan on using Pex A. Idk yet about doing home runs from one main manifold or doing sub manifolds, but leaning on the former depending on final house design.

I found this video which seems to be a good review of the Pex options
https://youtu.be/cTN_OU3yufI
Ray