CBN discs for Worksharp
(01-01-2021, 02:21 PM)MVWoodworks Wrote: I have the WS3000 with the add-on to sharpen from the top. Also bought the disks. The problem I have is they are a bit too thin. When installed in the WS, their surface is about 3/64" below the glass/sandpaper disks. This causes a problem when I go to higher grits. Haven't gotten around to finding a 3/64" washer to see how it works.
Since I have never seen more that a picture of a work shark I have no idea of the problem you are facing, so please do not take this as argumentative.  

3/64 is .045 low. Most any washer would be thick enough I would think. Also if I was going to produce something to sell to the public I would make sure it would work as there is a lot of expense going into producing a product.

As I stated above I am considering making a lapping machine these little unthought of things can bit you when least expected.

I just wonder why disk height is so critical to the machine. You have my curiosity up.

Tom
Tom, there's an optional platform that bolts onto the WS that allows you to use a jig and sharpen tools on the disc with pretty good accuracy. there is also an angle guide to assist in setting the jig. But using them means your discs are at a constant position, level with the platform. With the CBN disc being lower the angle tool would be off enough to essentially regrind the bevel. I'm sure if you saw one in person you'd see why that's a problem.

I took some photos, here's what you have: the first shows the platform with a glass disc and paper that level and the second shows the jig in place. You can see why the sharpening media all has to be the same height; at least if you still want to keep using your discs as well as the CBN wheels. I would want to be able to use both, I have glass disc with grits up to 3600 that really put a mirror on my plane blades and chisels. I should mention, I'm not sure you could lower the platform enough to accomodate the CBN discs...it may be as low as it will go (haven't tried).

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-02-2021, 11:54 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Tom, there's an optional platform that bolts onto the WS that allows you to use a jig and sharpen tools on the disc with pretty good accuracy. there is also an angle guide to assist in setting the jig. But using them means your discs are at a constant position, level with the platform. With the CBN disc being lower the angle tool would be off enough to essentially regrind the bevel. I'm sure if you saw one in person you'd see why that's a problem.

I took some photos, here's what you have: the first shows the platform with a glass disc and paper that level and the second shows the jig in place. You can see why the sharpening media all has to be the same height; at least if you still want to keep using your discs as well as the CBN wheels. I would want to be able to use both, I have glass disc with grits up to 3600 that really put a mirror on my plane blades and chisels. I should mention, I'm not sure you could lower the platform enough to accomodate the CBN discs...it may be as low as it will go (haven't tried).

Thank you for your reply. I have several speculations as to why they would be to thin, but is the optional platform's height adjustable?. If a spacer (washer the correct thickness) would be placed under the plate solve the problem? Also, The distance from the edge to be cut to the fulcrum point on the jig could ne changed to accommodate the height distance and the correct angle could be maintained. One could make their own distance gage to accommodate the correct angle. Personally I would leave every thing or the Work Sharp alone and make a different gage  that the distance for both the cutting edge as well as the secondary angle could be set easily. 3/64ths will throw off the angle a lot but a couple of thousandths on the side opposite the angle won't.

My next question is for me. Can a person use a Work Sharp ( shown in the pictures) be used to flatten the backs of chisels and plane blades? At least for all the time consuming grunt work. And if so would slowing down the RPM help?

Tom
Well, at least on mine the platform is as low as it will go. Since I'd have to lower it for thinner CBN discs the washer wouldn't help, unless I put it under the disc itself. As for the chisel backs, I suspect it would be easy to do on a WS, though I haven't tried it (I still use a piece of glass and silicone carbide paper). The WS 3000 turns at a fairly low speed so it wouldn't need to be slowed down any, and I doubt it could be easily done anyway. Just a note: I don't think that platform is available anymore though building a surround with a platform is an easy task.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I flatten the backs of chisels all the time on mine.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
If I'm not mistaken, the optional platform for the Worksharp, is no longer available (I hope I'm wrong!).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I don’t have or use that top surface jig. I bought very cheap diamond disks from Amazon, stuck a PSA backed magnet to the glass, and that’s how I roll.

I have a love hate relationship with my worksharp. In terms of flattening, it’s pretty flawed since the SFM at the out edge differs so much from the inner portion. Consequently, you can’t expect it to do much more than rough flatten. I also think the leading edge differs from the trailing edge.

I use it, but it’s really no substitute for a diasharp plate which is also flawed for flattening.

Because of this, I couldn’t recommend spending $100 for specialty add Ons for it.