Wood identification request
I found this piece of mystery wood in a neighbors trash. They just bought the house from the previous owner who died about a year ago. The board is about 2" thick by 12" wide and almost 6' long. Its pretty heavy. The wood is a reddish color so I was initially thinking red oak maybe but it doesn't look like what I see for red oak online. Below is an edge shot. The grain and color looks like this down the whole board.

Attached Files Image(s)

Phillipine mahoghany, or Luan is my guess.
Look like some sort of mahogany to me. I picked up something very similar from an estate sale of a guy who refurbished pianos
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
That would be great. It will irritate my wife though because I’ll hang on to it until I have a project worthy of the wood.
Looks a little bit like Lyptus to me.   Would have to do a sniff test.  Although I don't know what mahogany smells like, so it could be inconclusive!
What does Lyptus smell like?
(12-29-2020, 05:14 PM)stav Wrote: I found this piece of mystery wood in a neighbors trash. They just bought the house from the previous owner who died about a year ago. The board is about 2" thick by 12" wide and almost 6' long. Its pretty heavy. The wood is a reddish color so I was initially thinking red oak maybe but it doesn't look like what I see for red oak online. Below is an edge shot. The grain and color looks like this down the whole board.

Without face and end grain pics, any guess is just that.

But based on the "its pretty heavy" clue, luan IMHO isn't heavy. 

Id guess Kempas.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(12-29-2020, 06:35 PM)stav Wrote: What does Lyptus smell like?

I just remember it being distinctive...I could probably ID it by smell.  Somewhere in my stash I still have some.
Looks like it's in the Luan family
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020