Chisel type/use?
Hey,

I picked up this chisel in a purchase of a group of mixed chisels. It looks specialized and I've never seen a similar one. It's double bevel. What would this be used for?

Thanks,
Tyler

Attached Files Image(s)

My guess would be to cut dovetails in the base of turning blanks to be held in chuck jaws.
It shares some similarities in shape with a dovetail cutter for the lathe. But this is only 8.5" long, which is really short for a lathe tool. And all the dovetail cutters I've seen are scrapers, not a double bevel cutter.

This appears to have a fairly short life as well, since the number of times you could sharpen the end is fairly limited before it disappears.

Could this be some sort of variation on a fishtail chisel?

Tyler
I think that's a carving tool and not a chisel.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-30-2020, 05:48 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Hey,

I picked up this chisel in a purchase of a group of mixed chisels. It looks specialized and I've never seen a similar one. It's double bevel. What would this be used for?

Thanks,
Tyler

Looks a lot like a detail skew carving tool except the steel shank on yours is much longer.

[Image: 50784294181_4dc495587e_c.jpg]

Mike
(12-31-2020, 11:23 AM)AHill Wrote: I think that's a carving tool and not a chisel.

Same here...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Yup! Looks like you figured it out! Thanks for playing "name that tool". Thought it had a weird shape for a chisel.

Not sure what I'll use this for, but maybe it'll be helpful someday. Not really into carving.

Tyler