Best way to learn intarsia?
YouTube videos, books, forums, company sites, what is the best way to learn the basics of wood intarsia? 

Second question -anyone use the Wonder Wheel for shaping?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Check out Judy Gale Roberts website. I know she offers classes at her studio, but she may have some other options for those who can’t go that route.

To me, intarsia is all about being able to visualize in 3D. It takes an artists eye to be really good at it. That’s something I don’t have. well, that and an unlimited supply of wood scraps in all the colors of the rainbow. ?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

My retirement project is to create intarsia.  The process began six months ago with a scroll saw purchase.  Spent one month just cutting out letters on scrap wood. Bought the Kathy Wise Intarsia for Beginners book and worked my way through the beginner projects.  Currently starting the first intermediate project, Horse.  Did make a 90 piece Lighthouse for a Christmas present. Replaced the 19" bandsaw with a Pegas scroll bandsaw, then got sidetracked making bandsaw boxes.

It was an excuse to add equipment.  Along with the scroll saw and bandsaw, one needs sanding equipment.  The Ridgid oscillating sander is useful for rough shaping.  A new Jet spindle sander showed up for Christmas.  Most of the shaping is performed on a flexdrum sander (JGR website), although I wish that I had bit the bullet and installed a pneumatic drum sander from the start.  Sanding mops and dust collection are a must.  The biggest frustration has been learning to sand, carve and shape with a Dremel.

If you want just one book, I suggest Intarsia Animals by Kathy Wise.  It is a spiral bound book (for accurate pattern copy) with lots of full color pictures from every angle (to guide your shaping).  And a lot of detailed instructions.

Woodworkers find an easier way. Segmentation is cutting the pattern from a single board instead of multiple woods.  So the pieces fit together even if the scroller went offline.  Use wood dye to color the pieces before glue-up.

It has been a fun learning experience.  Folks think it takes artistic talent.  But it is nothing more than learning to accurately cut to a pattern.  My 4 year old granddaughter is learning to color within the lines.  I am learning to cut along the lines.  Same thing, different tools.  Until the kids or grandkids need more furniture, it is a fulfilling hobby.

Edit: The Wonder Wheel is used to add texture to fur, feathers, etc. Beyond my capabilities at this point.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
Thanks Bill. I'm not an artist either. Just wanted to try some simple pieces to say i did it. Saw a video of her work and it was mind blowing what she did with different colored woods. I have some angel designs that I want to make for family gifts. Recently bought some tools from a gentleman who did intarsia. He was moving from a house to an apartment and threw in his wood stock as part of the deal. I now have a good sized stock of great looking wood. Actually too good for my toy project.. Will watch some more videos, I have a really good set of Dremel tools to do the contouring on the angels and my Razortip woodburner for high lights. . Don't think I'll venture much past that.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Good luck! Post some pics when you get one done.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?