Old Chair Turning Dark
This chair was antique when we bought it 50 years ago. The seat has always been a lovely even-toned brown, but it turned dark this year. You would think it had been out in the rain, but no, it’s not been outside. Perhaps it could be sanded down to clean wood, but the stain looks deep. Can it be bleached? I haven’t tried anything yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-31-2020, 02:09 PM)petertay15 Wrote: This chair was antique when we bought it 50 years ago.  The seat has always been a lovely even-toned brown, but it turned dark this year.  You would think it had been out in the rain, but no, it’s not been outside.  Perhaps it could be sanded down to clean wood, but the stain looks deep. Can it be bleached?  I haven’t tried anything yet.

It might not have been out in the rain, but it must have been somewhere where the RH was really high.  I can see the rusty metal rods and how they turned the arms black where they terminate.  That suggests that the black on the seats and other spots on the chair is black mold.  A mixture of Outdoor Clorox and TSP should kill the mold.  Some sanding is likely still going to be needed to get it ready for a new finish.  Good luck.

John