Fancy Hand Plane advice
Hi Woodnetters!

It's been ages since I was on the forum. A lot has happened, a lot has been forgotten and probably a few things misplaced.

Back 10-15 years ago when I started I purchased a few hand planes I could afford, a couple from big box stores, and several from folks here.
Work and career happened and they mostly sat unused. With more time on my hands last year I started using them again, and realized I don't need 6 of them.

I thought it might be time to get a few high end planes, and wanted some advice on what to look for in the Lee Nielsen, Veritas world that might suit how I ended up using them.

Right now I have, in no order
  • Stanley #220
  • Stanley #4
  • Stanley #5
  • Stanley #60 1/2
  • Unknown red handled #5
  • Maybe one more I can't remember, but obviously don't use.
I end up using the #5 a little bit, the low angle #220 for corners and chamfering. This is just a hobby. Mostly I'm using power tools, but grab the had tools for every project at least once. Might use them more if they made my heart tingle when I picked them up. =) 

I'm usually working with white oak (we have 600-700bd ft left) sapele, some walnut and probably hickory.
I've been looking at the LN #60 1/2, their #4, and maybe the #62.

I know this is probably a popular question, so "hey Bryan, use the search" is a valid reply. I'm also hoping to uncover some info that the search didn't point me too already.
Also to say hi after 13-14 years or so. =)
Coffee makes me cough. Should I call it coughfy?

I do most of my stock prep with a jointer-planer, so there are some planes I don't use very often at all. The ones I use most are a LN#5, a Veritas DX60, and the Veritas shooting miter. I have the LN #60 1/2. It is a beautiful little block plane and was a huge step up from my Craftsman branded Stanley 220. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I find I reach for the DX60 much more. I like the ergonomics better, it has the PMv11 blade that stays sharper longer, and I like the set screws that keep the blade consistently positioned.

I use my #5 for almost everything the DX60 doesn't do, including things I'd probably be better served with my #4. It was my shooting board plane before I got the Veritas miter, and I still use it that way when I have some angle locked in on my Veritas board that I don't want to change. I like the mass and heft of the #5, while I still find it maneuverable enough to comfortably work on narrow or shortish stock. I have a couple of blades for it, but the one I use most is a Veritas PMv11. I find my #5 to be so universally useful that it travels with me in the tool bag.

I only got into hand tools 5 years ago, so I don't have the same level of experience as others on here. But I do have disposable income and a willingness to spend it on things I like, and i have been very happy with all my LN and Veritas planes, even where I use some a lot more than others.

Also, on a semi-related note, the little side rabbit trimmer Veritas sells is a thing I wish I'd known about years ago, and makes panel fitting so much easier. It's relatively inexpensive, as well.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Welcome back, it seems in the past few months there has been a return of a lot of former members that have found their way back, including myself.

As far as the planes go, I use my LN 60 1/2 on every project. If I was to just buy one, that would be it. I haven’t used the Veritas block plane, so I can’t speak to it. The other plane that seems to to be used more than others is my LN #4. I prefer the heft and corrosion resistance of bronze. I would start with those two and see how often you need the other ones.

Another consideration for you is, LN was behind with production before the pandemic hit, and like most other business, has only gotten worse. So when your considering which planes to order, the availability and your time line to acquire might be dictated by supply.
Thanks guys for the advice.
In my head I kinda thought I'd end up replacing all 6 of what I have with 3 nicer ones. So what you're saying makes sense. #5, 60 1/2 or DX60 (which looks nice), and maybe a smoother?

I have a few Lee Valley things on back order right now, so I'd consider that when purchasing. Although waiting is ok with me. Also was considering used market too unless that's more risky for care.

Any thoughts on the #62 low angle jack, vs the #5 jack?
In looking at the LN 60 1/2, the rabbit version looks like it might be a little more useful than the other one with sides. Anyone have first hand knowledge of that?

The side rabbit trimmer looks cool. I don't do many rabbit joints, but I may if this helped it be more fun. =)

My thoughts (me only):

- Get at least one good-sized block plane with a tight mouth.  I still consider an old 9-1/2 or a No. 18 knucklecap, when you find one with a really tight mouth, to be super super versatile.   Modern heavier-duty premium block planes are more usually found in the Low Angle than in the Std. Angle configuration, which is fine given their performance, but I wish not everyone had walked away from the standard-angle block planes.

- Consider at least one plane for other than surfacing purposes.  At this writing, my only Lie Nielsen tool is a No. 140 that I got from another Woodnet-er several years ago.  It's like a totem for me.   It's beautiful, it can do small-piece Shooting Plane jobs, it can even-up board corners, and it can cut rabbets.

Have fun!

Chris
Chris
Putting this one through it's paces...

Stanley "Cordovan" No. 60-1/2....making a beveled edge for a lid....wood is a bit "knotty", Aromatic Red Cedar....

I also have a #18.....and a #9-1/2.....they all get their share of work....
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The 60 1/2 was my first LN plane, and I don't regret it one bit. I used it a lot.

It works really well for sizing tenons.

I also really like my LN 62. It works really well, and you can buy a toothed blade for it for rough lumber.

The 62 works well on figured woods, as long as it is sharp.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
You did not state what you like to build which makes recommendations chancy. Since you mostly use power tools you may not have a need for the longer planes. You already have a # 4 and 5 which are the most used sizes. A block plane upgrade might be useful but I would look at expanding your existing too coverage. What do you have in the way of shining gear? If you don't have good stones out to at least 8999 grit (3 micron) _ strop then you need to upgrade here and probably 1st.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I will say, my relationship with handtools changed considerably after 30 minutes with the local Woodcraft owner, who taught me how to effectively sharpen with waterstones. No great magical secrets, and the same stuff you can learn on YouTube or pretty much anywhere else, but I had never really paid attention or understood what 'sharp' looked like or how easy it was to maintain until the Woodcraft guy talked me out of a sale for more Worksharp stuff and showed me how easy it was to do by hand. Now sharpening is a regular part of my routine before, during, and after, and it made me enjoy and appreciate hand tool use in a way I never did before. So Curt has a good point about things to add to your shopping list if you are going to get the most out of those fancy new planes, and don't already have good sharpening gear or habits.

I don't make a whole lot of rabbets, either, but I do make a lot of dadoes for drawer bottoms. Usually on the tablesaw with whatever blade is in there. It is so nice not to have to take guesses or try to make infinitely small fence adjustments and hope I didn't over do it. Now I make two passes on the tablesaw to get close, and then tailor the exact fit I want with a couple of passes of the side rabbet. It's a tool I never knew I needed and now wouldn't want to live without!

Also, I happen to have the LN Rabbet 60 1/2. Don't reach for it very often. Thought it would be like the regular 60 1/2 but with a few extra tricks. But it doesn't have an adjustable mouth, the blade shape is odd and a bit fiddly to get in and out of the body for sharpening, and you have to be very conscious of getting the blade to have just the right amount of very small overhang on each side to get it to work right. It is a fiddly plane that excels in it's intended task of taking very small amounts off wider tenons and rabbets. But I produce a lot more narrow rabbets than wide ones, and I don't often find myself reaching for it to trim tenons, either. It's definitely not more convenient for conventional block plane tasks, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you frequently do what it is specifically designed for.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(01-02-2021, 09:51 PM)cputnam Wrote: You did not state what you like to build which makes recommendations chancy.  Since you mostly use power tools you may not have a need for the longer planes.  You already have a # 4 and 5 which are the most used sizes.  A block plane upgrade might be useful but I would look at expanding your existing too coverage.  What do you have in the way of shining gear?  If you don't have good stones out to at least 8999 grit (3 micron) _ strop then you need to upgrade here and probably 1st.

Good point. I'm not making fancy stuff even though I'd like fancy gear. =) Some cabinets with hickory fronts, small box every now and then. 12ft oak table, bathroom... sink holder. what do you call that. Countertop?

I'm running out of space in my house so I've been making shop furniture during covid. hah. It's good practice. 

For sharpening I use scary sharp method, or my Tormek, and or diamond stones. And my nicholson person file I found at an estate sale. .... ... kidding. maybe.

Also, I should clarify that I intend to downsize everything. Sell the 6 planes I have and get 3 nice ones. Kinda the same thing I did when I sold the 5 cars we had to just get two. less maintenance, but now I can't loan out my car to my friend visiting. And there's the motorcycles. Well, I have digressed. 

I do have a 6in power jointer and 13in planer, so I don't have to fully rely on a plane(s) for everything.