Shelix cutter screws question
Going to rotate my cutters for the first time. Ignorant question about what to put on the screws. Nothing? Blue Loctite? Oil?

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(01-02-2021, 12:57 PM)Aram Wrote: Going to rotate my cutters for the first time. Ignorant question about what to put on the screws. Nothing? Blue Loctite? Oil?

Thanks.

No loctite, 40 inch lbs torque  which they say is one hand screwdriver tight. Check out the screws before you remove them. You will see they mostly don't sit flush. This is by design. If you try to seat the screw flush one  side will ride high and you will crack the cutter. Mark the used edge with paint stick.
It's a very small nit, but my notes say the torque is 45 inch#. I used a screwdriver type torque wrench that I have for my guns (scope mounts and such). the inserts on mine are numbered 1 through 4. Although I don't recall rotating my jointer inserts; the #3 tooth is doing the work. So maybe marking them is a good idea....especially if your memory is as bad as mine. No loctite or anything, just clean the seats to make sure there's nothing to keep the insert from seating. When I did my palner I marked the date of the rotation on the cutter head with a magic marker.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-02-2021, 01:38 PM)fredhargis Wrote: It's a very small nit, but my notes say the torque is 45 inch#. I used a screwdriver type torque wrench that I have for my guns (scope mounts and such). the inserts on mine are numbered 1 through 4. Although I don't recall rotating my jointer inserts; the #3 tooth is doing the work. So maybe marking them is a good idea....especially if your memory is as bad as mine. No loctite or anything, just clean the seats to make sure there's nothing to keep the insert from seating. When I did my palner I marked the date of the rotation on the cutter head with a magic marker.

Yes on the 45!
Another Yes on the 45 inch#. Make sure that the insert is forward of where it seats and let the tightening of the screw seat the insert. If you seat the screw then tighten the screw it will lift the insert in the back and cause all sorts of issues. DAMHIKT. What I do is pinch the insert between my thumb and index finger making sure the insert is forward then slowly tighten the screw and watch it seat appropriately. I don't use the torque wrench until I have them hand tightened then I go back and tighten them with the torque wrench.
As others have said, make sure the seat and screw are clean. I run the back of the insert across 600 grit paper taped to the jointer bed to insure there's no gunk on it. Just slide it around under finger pressure, you'll feel if there's anything on the back and will know when it's polished clean.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Thanks, everyone. Great information.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site