spokeshaves
+1 on the Stanley 53.  Soo easy to tune and use.

I also owned but subsequently sold my Lee Valley spokeshaves, both round and flat bottomed.

I'm detecting some trends here.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
WxMan. Yes, it is a technique issue unless yours is a defective product. Spokeshave users including Paul Sellers and guys at Fine Woodworking have had high praises of the Lv shaves.

Not your fault as you probably relied on the paper instructions on how to set and use it. Hands on instructions will make the difference.

Simon
(01-03-2021, 03:11 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: +1 on the Stanley 53.  Soo easy to tune and use.

I also owned but subsequently sold my Lee Valley spokeshaves, both round and flat bottomed.

I'm detecting some trends here.

Mark

The 53 is nice. The 151 is also nice but without the adjustable mouth. The 151 is easy to find too.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I think if I was buying a Spokeshave, I’d want one of Brian Boggs’....e.g.: https://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/201...pokeshave/
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I have a 53 and one made from one of the LV kits. Both are great, but do different things. The 53 is great for fine tuning/delicate/finishing cuts. The LV kit one can do that type of cut (but takes a bit more skill), but it really shines when you are wanting to take off more material. So I have a tendency to use the LV one, then switch to the 53 if needed.

The only spokeshave I've tried that I wasn't a fan of is the LN round bottom one. It worked well, but I found that the curve on the bottom was so gentle I didn't see the point (It barely got any farther into a curve than the 53 did). Of course the usefulness of that limitation would depend on your work.

The Lee Valley spokeshave you are calling a "bevel up" spokeshave is their Low Angle Spokeshave. I've not had any issues with the blade slipping. If you review the instructions that you can find online at LV, they recommend scuffing up the portions of the shave that contact the wedge. My personal opinion is if you have issues with the blade slipping after prepping the blade according to their instructions, either you haven't sufficiently tightened the screws or the mouth is too wide. A spokeshave isn't a rough shaping tool. It's a fine shaping tool. If you want to take a thicker shaving, use a drawknife.

The Amazon Basics Spokeshave gets good reviews. My take on that style, which mimics the Stanley 12-951 is you will need to do some prep work on the mouth and sole of the spokeshave to make it more usable. Compared to the LV LA Shave, the sole is much wider, which will limit the practical radius you can tackle with it. A convex soled spokeshave can be a bit tricky for a novice user. For 90% of tasks you'd use a spokeshave for, a flat sole will suffice.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-04-2021, 09:28 AM)AHill Wrote: The Lee Valley spokeshave you are calling a "bevel up" spokeshave is their Low Angle Spokeshave.  I've not had any issues with the blade slipping.  If you review the instructions that you can find online at LV, they recommend scuffing up the portions of the shave that contact the wedge.  My personal opinion is if you have issues with the blade slipping after prepping the blade according to their instructions, either you haven't sufficiently tightened the screws or the mouth is too wide.  A spokeshave isn't a rough shaping tool.  It's a fine shaping tool.  If you want to take a thicker shaving, use a drawknife.

The Amazon Basics Spokeshave gets good reviews.  My take on that style, which mimics the Stanley 12-951 is you will need to do some prep work on the mouth and sole of the spokeshave to make it more usable.  Compared to the LV LA Shave, the sole is much wider, which will limit the practical radius you can tackle with it.  A convex soled spokeshave can be a bit tricky for a novice user.  For 90% of tasks you'd use a spokeshave for, a flat sole will suffice.
A convex soled spokeshave can be a bit tricky for a novice user.

As most new uses find out quickly....
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I'd steer away from the Kunz.  I owned one, and it was terrible.  I don't exactly understand how Kunz managed to make such a simple tool completely unusable, but it was.
(01-02-2021, 02:54 PM)clovishound Wrote: With my foray into spoon carving, I find I am in need of a better spokeshave. 

Lee Valley

Opinions?

I own two of them. One permanently set flat, one curve, and I used to carve/sell ~300 spoons and utensils per year.  Love 'em for hogging on wet wood because they'll do it, as well as thin shave on dry. 

I did, however have an English pattern shaving horse, so I could quick clamp, turn, release and turn....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Yeah, I see a shaving horse in my future. Clamping the blank/spoon down is a big deal. I have a few stop gap solutions in mind, but the shaving horse is probably the ultimate answer.

I did a little more work with the old spokeshave today. I got it set and used it a good bit on a practice large spoon. It really was a lot of fun to use. It would have been a lot more fun if it wasn't so difficult to set properly. I was able to do a nice job of shaping the handle with it. It also worked well on most of the bowl bottom.

I can get by with this one for a while. I definitely will have to give some thought to replacing it with something that works better.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo