spokeshaves
Yeah, I see a shaving horse in my future. Clamping the blank/spoon down is a big deal. I have a few stop gap solutions in mind, but the shaving horse is probably the ultimate answer.

I did a little more work with the old spokeshave today. I got it set and used it a good bit on a practice large spoon. It really was a lot of fun to use. It would have been a lot more fun if it wasn't so difficult to set properly. I was able to do a nice job of shaping the handle with it. It also worked well on most of the bowl bottom.

I can get by with this one for a while. I definitely will have to give some thought to replacing it with something that works better.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Well, I managed to get the spokeshave working pretty well today. I decided that the main problem was that the hold down screw was sitting too low on the cap and was not getting a good grip on it. I put a washer on the hold down screw and now I can fairly easily adjust it to a lighter cut with a tap or two on the handles without everything coming apart. It also seems to have taken care of a lot of chatter. Anyway, I can be reasonably happy with this shave for now, so on to other things like perhaps a shaving horse, or at least tuning the hatchet up a little more so that it cuts better.
My shop has 2 spokeshaves....both look about the same...just different makers..

In front is my Seymour Smith & Sons....not sure who made the other...seems it was having issues..

Was chattering more than cutting....Bed was way too rough....needle file to fix that...

cap iron was the same way....and the iron/cutter needed it's back fkattened, bevel sharpened...
Rolleyes

Got it all cleaned and tuned up...shavings are from a test drive on White Oak....

making a "Nosing"....so..

These 2 are now ready for work....all that matters....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Well, finally made a decision and decided to order the Kunz round bottom spokeshave. Supposed to be here this weekend. Biggest downside to this one is a Hock iron will not fit it, if the factory iron is unsatisfactory. Upside is it is cheap enough I can walk away from it  if necessary. Since this one is supposed to be made in Germany, I think the iron will be OK. I have found I would really like to have a round bottom shave for my spoons. There are lots of places the flat bottom just won't reach.

I've been happy enough with the old spokeshave I currently have. Biggest issues are it is still somewhat difficult to adjust, but much much better than it was. The other thing is the iron doesn't stand up to normal punishment very well. I'm tempted to get a Hock replacement made for the 151. I should fit my shave fine and the adjustment slots won't hurt anything. Later on if I upgrade the shave, I will get the new Stanley, if I can't find a vintage one, and use the Hock iron on it.

I'm almost tempted to modify the current shave I have if/when I replace it. I often use the shave one handed to shape the outside bottom of the bowl of spoon. I can run it around the bowl much like using a potato peeler which gives a lot of control. It would be nice not to have the other handle sticking out the other side.

I'll post a mini review of it when I get it and spend a little time with it.
Well, review of the Kunz will not come off as promised. I received it this afternoon. Everything was apart in the bag and rattling around, messed up the edge of the iron pretty good, but that would hone out just fine. Missing the top hold down screw on lever cap, again not a big deal, I have a suitable replacement for it in the shop. Then I discovered the bore in the casting wasn't threaded to accept the adjuster stud. At this point, I quickly decided to return it. Kind of bummed, but while I could fix it, I paid for a new tool.

Now I'm wondering if I want to order a replacement for it (this wasn't listed as an option on the Amazon website), or just look for something else. Really bad QC to miss this problem.
You've just confirmed my existing opinion of Kunz, which is that it does not represent the best of what Germany can offer us.
Kunz has been a disappointment for at least the last 20 years. I don' understand what the heck they are doing over there. It's really a shame there's lots of opportunity for them but they can't seem to get it together..
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-24-2021, 06:28 PM)Maxrawood Wrote: I need a new spokeshave myself. What do you think about a DIY wood plans. https://bit.ly/3o8UD0w

I mentioned it above, but a Hock spokeshave blade, a small piece of hardwood, and these instructions. It is not a difficult build at all., and very rewarding.

"TeachShave"
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I may have to go that route as a quick search of all the quality shaves shows them as out of stock.

Pinnacle, Clifton, Lee Valley bevel down, Lee Valley low angle, Lee Valley cast. Some show available in a month or two. Lie Nielson has their Boggs shaves in stock, but they are $145 and are tap adjusted. Not wild about tap adjustment. I already have one that requires that and I'm not a big fan. Maybe a quality shave would tap adjust easier.

Disappointing.
These are amazing. My favorite I have used. The website doesn't say out of stock, but it is a small operation so I don't know if that is accurate.

http://www.mobergtools.com/spokeshave.html