spokeshaves
(01-25-2021, 10:45 AM)msweig Wrote: These are amazing. My favorite I have used. The website doesn't say out of stock, but it is a small operation so I don't know if that is accurate.

http://www.mobergtools.com/spokeshave.html

Well, I was looking at Lee Valley website this morning and they had the flat bottom bevel down spokeshave in stock in limited quantities. SWMBO gave me some advanced birthday money to take some of the sting out of it, so I ordered one before they go out of stock.

Will post my opinions when it gets here. I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed in the LV.

It appears they no longer offer the O1 or A2 irons, only the PVM11. It comes at a small price premium, but is supposed to be well worth it. They say it sharpens like A2, but edge lasts lots long. I have a couple A2 irons, and don't mind sharpening them, so sounds pretty good.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(01-26-2021, 12:22 PM)clovishound Wrote: Well, I was looking at Lee Valley website this morning and they had the flat bottom bevel down spokeshave in stock in limited quantities. SWMBO gave me some advanced birthday money to take some of the sting out of it, so I ordered one before they go out of stock.

Will post my opinions when it gets here. I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed in the LV.

It appears they no longer offer the O1 or A2 irons, only the PVM11. It comes at a small price premium, but is supposed to be well worth it. They say it sharpens like A2, but edge lasts lots long. I have a couple A2 irons, and don't mind sharpening them, so sounds pretty good.

You can order replacement blades from O1 or A2 separately.  Website says out of stock with new stock expected June 15.  A rather long wait, but I think you'll find PM-V11 to be superior to either.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-24-2021, 06:22 PM)Admiral Wrote: Kunz has been a disappointment for at least the last 20 years.  I don' understand what the heck they are doing over there.  It's really a shame there's lots of opportunity for them but they can't seem to get it together..

Kunz is at least one example of a Western tool maker that has worse quality than China.  The giveaway is a German tool being sold at prices on a par with Indian or Chinese tools.  When you consider German wages and benefits, it's no mystery why the quality isn't better - very little money left over for better tooling, more care in their processes and inspections, etc.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Well, the LV spolkeshave showed up about a half hour ago. Got a chance to play, I mean work, with it a little before getting ready for work.

It came in perfect condition. All parts were in place and undamaged.

It is a beautiful tool. Nice wood handles, great machining and perfect japaning, or whatever they use to coat the cast parts. Probably it's powder coat.

I discovered the handles unscrew from the body if desired. I may take the left hand one off for certain operations.

Nice, thick iron made from PM V11 steel. Iron was reasonably sharp, although not what I would call honed. Not an issue at all, I touched it up and got to work. It sang through the green bradford pear spoon blank I got ready this morning in case it came before I went to work.

The only negative I can give it is that they put a 30 degree micro bevel on the iron. This nice thick iron is a perfect candidate for free hand sharpening. A spokeshave iron is a little too short to put in a standard eclipse style honing guide. I have a work around, but may make a little jig to hold the iron in the guide to make things easier. Not wild about removing enough of this steel to get back to a single bevel.

All in all, I am very happy with this tool, despite the high price. I'm not a big fan of a lot of the high end stuff, but I suspect this tool is well worth the extra money. I have next week off, and plan on giving this little thing a workout, and will update my thoughts, and maybe post a picture or two.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(01-25-2021, 10:45 AM)msweig Wrote: These are amazing. My favorite I have used. The website doesn't say out of stock, but it is a small operation so I don't know if that is accurate.

http://www.mobergtools.com/spokeshave.html

I went to that website and sent an email inquiry if they are still selling the spokeshaves
Dave

Hmmm...they be easy to find around these here parts....enough that I need to build a case to hold them...better than hanging from a nail...

had some scrap wood sitting around, anyway..

Had to space things out, to fit the 4...

And, since Iron and Ash do not play nice with each other...the holders were cobbled from Pine scrap..

All ready to go...

Note: IF you happen to see any shaves made by Seymour Smith & Son.....BUY IT.   They made some darn good ones!
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-09-2021, 09:39 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm...they be easy to find around these here parts....enough that I need to build a case to hold them...better than hanging from a nail...

Bandit - I'm in northwest PA and I've had hard time finding any... I did buy one at a local antique place recently that was rusted pretty bad and I know I paid too much for it ($20).

It cleaned up well and I was able to put a decent edge on the blade... I need to work on it a bit more though.

Nice storage box by the way.
Yes
Yes
Big Grin
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."