Shelix vs grizzly
Looking to upgrade my jointer to a Shelia head style cutter. I was looking on the grizzly site and they have the shelix brand and they have a grizzly Shelia style cutter head. Looking to see if anyone has either one and what they think of it. I have a grizzly 8" jointer, GO586. Tanks for looking.
I have a Shelix on my jointer and the planer. I bought both from Grizzly, and they are the same you would get from Byrd tool. I've read several comparisons from those who have one of each (Byrd and Griz) and as far as I recall everyone said there was no difference in performance. I hope someone will reply here who has both, there may have been some changes in the design of either.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have Byrd Shelix in both Griz jointer and Delta planer, bought from Holbren, Brian is on this board and offers a discount to Woodnetters. You might give him a jingle, he's good to deal with.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
When shopping for an index head to replace the cutter head in my shopfox jointer, the Byrd head wasn't much more expensive than the Grizzly brand.
I knew at the time of purchase, that i might also want to put an index head in my planer.
A replacement head for a jointer is less expensive than for a planer, so I figured i would try an index head in the jointer first, and if i liked it well enough, then i would put one in my planer.
Grizzly doesn't make an index head compatable with my planer, so i went with the Byrd brand in the jointer to see how well i liked the Byrd brand that i would have to go with if i wanted one in my planer.
I now have byrd heads in both my jointer and planer.

Grizzly has a good reputation in regards to stocking parts.
That being said, i have faith in Byrd staying in buisness and selling replcement index cutters.
Byrd customer service was very accomodating in making a head to fit my Bridgewood planer.
I did end up sending the original bridgewood head to them to make sure the Byrd head would be made correctly.
My .02
Karl

(01-02-2021, 06:58 PM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: Grizzly has a good reputation in regards to stocking parts.
That being said, i have faith in Byrd staying in buisness and selling replcement index cutters.

I don't think you would have trouble finding index cutters even if Byrd and Grizzly both went out of business.

Carbide 4-Edge Helical Cutter Inserts for Stationary Planer - Google Search

IIRC the documents that came with my Grizzly 6" jointer, said it came with a Shelix helical cutter. 

---
See ya later,
Bill
I have a Byrd cutterhead in my Shopfox 8" jointer and a Grizzly spiral carbide cutterhead in my Shopfox 15" planer. Cannot tell the difference in cut quality.

Got the Byrd from Brian here and installed it myself; ordered the planer from Grizzly with the cutterhead already installed.

Would never order a machine nowadays without the spiral carbide cutterhead, no matter which brand - whoever has the best price.

Doug
I have a Byrd in my Shop Fox jointer and a Grizzly spiral in my Grizzly 15" planer as well.  I had to remove all the cutters in the Byrd and reinstall because it gave a terrible cut out of the box.  While both have been great I would say that the Grizzly head gives slightly better finish.  You can't feel where the  inserts are but holding the board up to the light you can see evenly spaced scrape marks down the board.  That could be due to feed rate or lack of constant feed rate by me on the jointer as well as not getting the head/inserts completely clean  when I pulled all of them.  After reading the other thread I didn't let the screw seat the insert.  Like I said you can't feel it.  It comes off with a light sanding.  After close to 10 years I am getting to the point that I probably should rotate the cutters.  I will pay closer attention this time.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Thank you for the help. I will probably end up getting the grizzly but will reach out to Brian to see what he has.
(01-03-2021, 10:01 AM)mike9 Wrote: Thank you for the help. I will probably end up getting the grizzly but will reach out to Brian to see what he has.

I ended up getting the Byrd from grizzly because it was on sale and I had a five percent off coupon so I couldn't beat the price. Thanks for all the help.
You will love it. I’ve used both as well and cannot tell any difference. I have Byrd’s on mine.