Delta Grinder GR450
I've had the variable speed grinder maybe 11yrs.  Today I noticed a delay between flipping the switch and the grinder actually starting.  The delay may be 2 seconds and there is a slight "growling" sound during the delay.  I only use the slowest speed.  I may have noticed a delay before but it was not so long.

My ignorance of the workings of electric motors is profound so don't be surprised if I have a difficult time answering questions.  But I'm hoping the vast knowledge of the brain trust can help me understand what is happening with the grinder.  BTW I have a coarse stone and a CBN, both are 8".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I have the same grinder, mine was doing the same thing about 2 yrs. after purchase, I removed bottom plate and replaced capacitor, just need to get one of same value which is stamped on side of cap.

Now with that being said, my variable speed quit working couple months ago, took the front cover off that holds the on/off and variable speed control.

It looked like a potentiometer, I replaced 4 of varying values but does not slow down, runs wide open, the old came apart so could not get a reading with meter, also no value was stamped on pot. I thought I would post this here if any one has any suggestions.

I'm pretty sure Bill that's your capacitor.
(01-03-2021, 11:13 AM)Flat Lander Wrote: I have the same grinder, mine was doing the same thing about 2 yrs. after purchase, I removed bottom plate and replaced capacitor, just need to get one of same value which is stamped on side of cap.

Now with that being said, my variable speed quit working couple months ago, took the front cover off that holds the on/off and variable speed control.

It looked like a potentiometer, I replaced 4 of varying values but does not slow down, runs wide open, the old came apart so could not get a reading with meter, also no value was stamped on pot. I thought I would post this here if any one has any suggestions.

I'm pretty sure Bill that's your capacitor.

Yes
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thank you gentlemen.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood