$$$ to clear land?
So we're looking around at land in Dearborn County, IN
Some of the options would need to to have at least some clearing of brush and trees. One property has some grade to it.
Unfortunately none of these have big trees like walnut, oak, maple, or poplar - which could be harvested to help mitigate the cost for clearing, or even just left to enjoy.
I know I'll have to call around for estimates when the time comes, but in the meantime I'm just trying to get some rough idea of cost.
So what have you seen in cost (or that you charge, if you're in the business) to clear, say, an acre of trees and brush.

Consider about 200 trees and the rest brush in an acre of land.
I don't know that I would want to keep the logs ... perhaps a few of the better ones set aside on the property and the rest hauled away.

thanks
Ray
Ray
6 years ago the rancher neighbors had 104 acres of timber cleared for pasture next to us.
Cost them $750 an acre to push it off and burn it, the parts with no marketable timber.
The areas that had marketable timber, they paid $350.00 an acre and gave up the timber.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Wow. I have no idea what to expect but $750 an acre sounds incredibly inexpensive even for 6 years ago.
Ray
(01-03-2021, 07:32 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Wow. I have no idea what to expect but $750 an acre sounds incredibly inexpensive even for 6 years ago.

that is! We just went through a larger discussion in Ohio about clearing costs because there are some property tax implications.  A consensus seemed to be +/- $2500/ac minimum.  I'd certainly expect more per acre for a smaller lot.
That sounds more realistic. I saw something showing $2k-$6k per acre depending on how heavily wooded an area is, but how would I know what defines that? At what count of trees does an acre become ‘heavily wooded’?
Ray
Rip and roll here in Hawaii: $18,000/acre from pin to pin.
VH07V  
I bought a 50' x 120' lot in September just down the street from my house.  I will build a new 36' x 100' building there for my military collection.

It cost me $12,600 to "clear" the house off the lot and level it.  Just in case you wondered a tiny little house weighs more than 54 tons - and all of that is required to go to the local landfill - at $100 per ton.

I paid less than $4,500 for the property.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I had a 30'x80' cinder block building removed and hauled away for $1400...they brought it to their grinder.  I was estimating at least that much in landfill fees (before cost to haul) if I did it myself.

For landclearing, you need someone with a fecon (also called a forestry mower).  It eats trees pretty quick...  Doesn't sound like you need someone with a tub grinder since there aren't bigger trees.
Now you know why if you own any kind of property you also own a tractor or some sort of equipment.
(01-04-2021, 07:54 AM)JosephP Wrote: For landclearing, you need someone with a fecon (also called a forestry mower).  It eats trees pretty quick...  Doesn't sony like you need someone with a tub grinder since there aren't bigger trees.

They don't grind anything here. Cheaper to pile it and burn it.
Chips are worthless as it's too far to haul them to a plywood plant.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020