$$$ to clear land?
(01-04-2021, 02:01 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: They don't grind anything here. Cheaper to pile it and burn it.
Chips are worthless as it's too far to haul them to a plywood plant.

When clearing large areas here they dig a  pit and they dump the trees and brush in the pit. Then they have a big trailer that has a big diesel engine on it... It runs a fan which is hooked to a very large pipe that has pipes running out of it that point to the bottom of the pit. They light the wood on fire then start up the blower and with that force fed air that pit will devour massive amounts of wood very quickly. It's loud it's hot and the heat waves generated over it are pretty cool but it works.
They just use a huge, 8' tractor mounted fan to burn with here, if that.
The more equipment, time spent, the more costly. Thus the *pile it and burn it* here.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That is called an air curtain burner
Sorry to revive this one.
But I now have to remove about 10 trees from my property and one tree costs about $500. That's so expensive. Was it always like this?
It depends on entirely the size of the tree, where it is, how it's coming down, what's happening to it after it's down, etc, etc, etc...

Land clearing operations are generally extremely messy. But nobody cares because the entire site is being bulldosed later. Removing one tree from a yard....$500 would be a pretty small tree, and probably not include stump grinding and certainly not removing the grindings, back filling with soil, and planting grass.... unless it's a really small tree.
(03-22-2024, 10:29 AM)40Grit Wrote: Sorry to revive this one.
But I now have to remove about 10 trees from my property and one tree costs about $500. That's so expensive. Was it always like this?

Unless they are special trees, 10 is probably on the low end of being able to sell them to someone who would remove them.

If there is someone in your area who produces veneer, it might be worth talking to them.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Unless it's a REALLY special tree veneer buyers aren't interested. If they are "yard trees" they won't be interested...nails are much worse on veneer equipment than they are on sawmills.

But it's worth asking.

Post some pics here. Also measure and list the circumference at 54" above ground level (uphill side).
A few months back, I bought a property in Lafayette and had to clear 24 maple and elm trees. Hiring a professional tree removal company was the most practical option. Each tree cost me around $600.
In addition to the tree removal costs, there was the expense of renting a dumpster for a week to dispose of the debris. The dumpster rental, necessary for hauling branches, stumps, and other waste, totaled around $400. In case someone lives in Louisiana, I used the services of dumpsterrentalslafayette.com.

So, the total cost was $14,800. Yeah, it's a lot, but these are the prices nowadays.
Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.

I paid $1200 for one tree in 2019... in a small city where a couple tree oufits stay busy enough they don't bother answering the phone.

The going rate for 1 tall tree here is about $1200. More trees you'll get it down to about $1000 a tree. That doesn't include stump grinding or removing the trees from the property.

I've dropped about 11 trees and paid to have about 11 removed. If I was the least bit concerned about where it would fall... like on the house. I hired it out. It was 10 grand for 11 tall oaks, poplars and sweet gum trees in 2018. This was the low bid. It took 3 guys 2 weeks.. that's what you get for low bid. A couple more grand and it could have been done in 2 days but an additional fee to haul it. They cut the trunks into manageable sections. Hauled away and ground up the smaller stuff. No market for oak here other than firewood. Most of the firewood guys get their oak from the people clearing land. They can move in with heavy equipment and pick it up and haul it. They won't do that in a residential area.

I kept the oak separated from the poplar and sweet gum and posted it free on craig's list. It still took several days for enough people to take al of it. I had to dispose of the sweet gum and poplar myself.

The guys clearing land bust up the soil around the base and push the trees over and burn it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS