Blum hinge location for 32mm Euro cabinet
(01-05-2021, 03:31 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Seriously guys, you don't need to spend money or waste time.  Just make a story stick.  It's dead simple and zero error.  

John
The story stick and the center finder face the exact same issue.

My drilling jig (Blum Ecodrill) has a center line. 

I would need the center line for the two holes whether I made a story stick or just transferred the centerline.  The door itself can be the story stick. 

I can just lay it adjacent to the box and transfer the center lines.  But I have no easy way to derive the centerline between the two 32mm spaced holes.  The Hettich plastic piece solves that issue, but it is $98.00 with delivery (but just 5Euro before delivery--so a cheap product).

So I will mound two 5 mm dowels into a piece of plywood or an off-cut from a pre-drilled panel, and use that to locate the holes.  Then I just have to notch the exact center so I can mark the carcass.  I have a vernier caliper and I should be able to accomplish that.  After that, it is all easy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-06-2021, 12:27 PM)Cooler Wrote: The story stick and the center finder face the exact same issue.

My drilling jig (Blum Ecodrill) has a center line. 

I would need the center line for the two holes whether I made a story stick or just transferred the centerline.  The door itself can be the story stick. 

I can just lay it adjacent to the box and transfer the center lines.  But I have no easy way to derive the centerline between the two 32mm spaced holes.  The Hettich plastic piece solves that issue, but it is $98.00 with delivery (but just 5Euro before delivery--so a cheap product).

So I will mound two 5 mm dowels into a piece of plywood or an off-cut from a pre-drilled panel, and use that to locate the holes.  Then I just have to notch the exact center so I can mark the carcass.  I have a vernier caliper and I should be able to accomplish that.  After that, it is all easy.
Finding the centerline between two holes is a basic skill.  Besides the obvious ruler, here's a no fail way.  Put your compass in one of the holes, pushing it tight to the edge facing the other hole.  Draw a 2 or 3" arc.  Move the compass to the other hole and do the same.  Draw a straight line through where the arcs intersect.  That's the centerline.  
John
You can also use the shelf pin holes and 5mm euro screws.
Got the door hung tonite, turned out better than expected. Marked the centerlines and did the compass trick.....put the plate on the center hinge to mark those holes.
Using Borg pine construction lumber for cabinetry isn't fun and won't be repeated. When this danmed thing is gone, pine will not be allowed in the shop.

Ed
(01-07-2021, 09:50 PM)EdL Wrote: Got the door hung tonite, turned out better than expected. Marked the centerlines and did the compass trick.....put the plate on the center hinge to mark those holes.
Using Borg pine construction lumber for cabinetry isn't fun and won't be repeated. When this danmed thing is gone, pine will not be allowed in the shop.

Ed

Excellent.  Geometry wins again!  

John
(01-07-2021, 09:50 PM)EdL Wrote: Got the door hung tonite, turned out better than expected. Marked the centerlines and did the compass trick.....put the plate on the center hinge to mark those holes.

Ed

I kinda like pine. Makes good woodstove starter.....
Uhoh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yea....and the glue-ups clog my drumsander paper like no other.

Had a friend take the door to work and run it thru the 36" Newman.

The 5 drawer fronts will fit my planer.

Wasn't driving 1 hr each way and paying almost $5 per bd/ft for 4/4 pine, bought 2x6 & 2x10's at HD instead and made a metric buttload of chips.

Ed