Gluing Glass
I have a Steuben Glass sculpture (Goose in Flight) which was a gift to my father on his retirement for which the right wing has broken off where it meets the body.

What is the best adjesive for glass?

I believe a repair has been attempted and failed. What is the best thing(s) to do to the surface prior to reattaching the wing?

Thank you for your help
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(01-04-2021, 01:52 PM)cputnam Wrote: I have a Steuben Glass sculpture (Goose in Flight) which was a gift to my father on his retirement for which the right wing has broken off where it meets the body.

What is the best adjesive for glass?

I believe a repair has been attempted and failed.  What is the best thing(s) to do to the surface prior to reattaching the wing?

Thank you for your help

Stueben Glass is such high end work that it's worth doing right.  I would contact Stueben to get their input.  Maybe they do repairs.  If not, I'm sure they know the best way to go about it.  Good luck.

John
(01-04-2021, 04:10 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Stueben Glass is such high end work that it's worth doing right.  I would contact Stueben to get their input.  Maybe they do repairs.  If not, I'm sure they know the best way to go about it.  Good luck.

John

I second this 100%
John T.
(01-04-2021, 10:30 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I second this 100%

+100
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(01-04-2021, 04:10 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Stueben Glass is such high end work that it's worth doing right.  I would contact Stueben to get their input.  Maybe they do repairs.  If not, I'm sure they know the best way to go about it.  Good luck.

John

(01-04-2021, 10:30 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I second this 100%
Thanks John (plural). They have been emailed - awaiting a reply.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Steuben does not repair but referred me to an ex-employee who they said was an artist at repair. This gent uses UV curing adhesive. Since shipping, insurance, and his charge would closely approach the value of the piece, I'm off to research UV curing adhesives,
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(01-07-2021, 08:21 PM)cputnam Wrote: Steuben does not repair but referred me to an ex-employee who they said was an artist at repair.  This gent uses UV curing adhesive.  Since shipping, insurance, and his charge would closely approach the value of the piece, I'm off to research UV curing adhesives,

That's good feedback.  Now you have a solid lead of what adhesive to pursue.  Let us know what you find out.  

John
I know this got kicked around the pen turning forum I belong to IAP penturners. We use CA as a finish on pens and are always looking for other strong finishes and this type of finish or adhesive was played around with. One thing that stood out was the light source had to be strong and not all uv lights work well. They are basically flashlights. I use to go to woodworking shows and there was a guy there that always demonstrated this adhesive but can not remember the name. If you look for the traveling woodworking show maybe you can find out who the vendor was.
John T.
You will likely need to clean any old adhesive off the repair area before trying the UV one. If you know what kind of adhesive was removed, look into whatever solvent is best for that adhesive. If you don't know, I would use either DNA or acetone. I've not seen an adhesive either of those can't remove. They won't hurt the glass.

https://www.delo-adhesives.com/us/adhesi...O8QAvD_BwE
John T.