Making drawers 16 1/2” space?
In this other thread, https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7359906, you picture a cabinet with an interior black metal frame set back from the front.
The black metal frame protrudes into the open width of the cabinet.
Are you removing these black metal frames?
Is the inside width 16-1/2” not including these black metal frames?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

The black material around the door opening is Formica covered wood with metal on the back like the interior of the old cooler. I hadn’t planned on cutting them out. The measurement of 16.5” is from edge to edge of the black material. As is the 25.25” top to bottom measurement. I don’t own a Sawzall or have access to one to make it a straight sided rectangular opening.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Always give drawers and openings a little extra space.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Jim

Quote: The measurement of 16.5” is from edge to edge of the black material.

The black material only exists at the front, so you either remove it OR you have to build up the walls on the sides in the back of the openings in order to have equidistant slides going back along the sides in each of your cooler boxes.

That is, it’s 16-1/2” ID at the black material at the front but it’s possibly 18” or 18-1/2” ID at the back where it doesn’t exist.

What’s your plan for this?
Gary

First I was going to build a false bottom inside the cooler to match the bottom edge of the opening. Then create 1/2 of the carcass (side and top) using pocket holes. Add pocket holes to the unattached end of the top. Add remaining side. 
The alternative method after building the false bottom would be to build an entire carcass that would fit inside the 16 1/2 inch opening resulting in drawers another inch smaller. This method is starting to make the most sense.
Jim

There is a good chance
I would look at it once more—see if the black formica covered wood with metal can be removed with a sacrificial chisel (cold chisel)?
If so, this may be the simplest.

It’s a nuisance building out a cabinet within the confines of a pre-existing box. I’ve done it and it’s no fun.
Gary

After I posted I got to wondering if I put a metal cutting blade if I could cut it with the Bosch jigsaw.

I hope it isn’t a nuisance as I have seven of them to make. Some will only have two or three drawers for larger stuff.
Jim

There is a good chance
You could probably use a chisel in combination with a metal cutting blade in a jab saw and do it by hand.
One would think it’s only attached at a few strategic places.
Gary

Why not fill in the inner box to match the actual opening size? Thats the way face frame cabinets are done.
Fill it in with a length of wood. If you have to, drill holes through the wood into the sheet metal inside. Attach with screws.
Then attach your drawer slides to the wood filler.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020