Cutech
Does anyone have any experience with these tools?  The price seems crazy for a spiral cutter head.  https://cutechtools.us/
No experience, but if I recall correctly the inserts are HSS inside of carbide. Seems like they only had 2 cutting edges as well...but all this is from memory.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fred, you are correct on both counts, per the website.  Standard spiral head cutters are HSS; though carbide cutters are available for $50 more.  The cutters only have two cutting edges each.  Replacement packs of two-sided carbide cutters (10 per pack) cost about $45.  You'd have to get 2-3 packs to replace all of the inserts on the machines.
Right however, could you use different cutters? From a different company? Seems like it might be worth a try. My dewalt is garbage. Is there much difference in general between a 12.5 and and 13" machine?
No idea if you can use different cutters, but I do know there are several sizes/styles available. there are even counterfeit versions of some of the more popular ones that are discounted significantly. Anyway, you won't be able to discern the difference between 12.5" versus 13"...until you have a 13" board in your hand.
Smile
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-06-2021, 12:04 AM)bmich Wrote:   My dewalt is garbage. Is there much difference in general between a 12.5 and and 13" machine?

What makes you feel your Dewalt is garbage? Since you are asking about the difference between 12.5 and 13 inch models I must assume you have one of the older 734 model. I had that one for years and it served me well. When it burned out I moved to a 735 and like that as well with the exception of the easily nicked knives. Since a swipe with 180 or 220 grit paper removes the nicks I live with this problem.
Use your own experience to answer your size question. How often have you wished fo an extra .5 inch of width? That has never been a factor for me but I wouldn't mind having a real wide planer so I could send long boards with difficult grain through at an angle. Maybe moving to a spiral head would negate both the need to angle difficult boards and nicked knives for me.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-06-2021, 12:04 AM)bmich Wrote: My dewalt is garbage.

Well, from the Cutech parent company website, it seems they make them for B&D . . . https://shinmax.wixsite.com/shinmax/blank-1
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Well for starters the tool itself isn't very powerful, any rough wood the tool just screams. Those knives are best suited for soft woods. Really hard wood, old growth etc, the machine isnt powerful enough to run a bunch through it. I think I should just save up for a 15" grizzly. Also there is some terrible grinding noise with the machine powers off. I have taken it apart removed all dust added grease and it still makes that noise. The bearings are sealed so who knows. Finally, I have tripped the built in breaker more times than I can count.
(01-07-2021, 01:52 PM)bmich Wrote: Well for starters the tool itself isn't very powerful,  any rough wood the tool just screams.  Those knives are best suited for soft woods.  Really hard wood, old growth etc, the machine isnt powerful enough to run a bunch through it.  I think I  should just save up for a 15" grizzly.  Also there is some terrible grinding noise with the machine powers off.  I have taken it apart removed all dust added grease and it still makes that noise.  The bearings are sealed so who knows.  Finally, I have tripped the built in breaker more times than I can count.

Is this the 734 or 735?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-07-2021, 01:52 PM)bmich Wrote: ... I think I  should just save up for a 15" grizzly. ...

This is the way I would go if I was determined to replace my Delta 22-565.  If the DeWalt was insufficient, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be happy with the Cutech.  I don't have a Cutech; don't know anybody who has one, either.  But it sure looks like a low-end machine to me.