Replacing Band Saw Tires
I have a 14" Delta band saw. I don't know how old it is, but it was used when I got it and I have used it for perhaps 10 years. The tires are black rubber and appear in good condition. However, the upper one crawls off the wheel. So, I guess they need replacing. Do I understand correctly that the black rubber ones need to be glued on? The ones I have don't appear to be glued. Which is better, glued on black rubber or urethane which apparently don't require glue? Is any one source better than another?
I had black rubber tires on my 14" Delta, too, unglued.  They were fine when new but began to squirm after several years if I left the blade under tension.  I decided to get new urethane tires instead of getting new rubber ones and gluing them on.  Absolutely no issues moving to the (blue) urethane ones.  The saw runs much smoother now and I can leave the blade under tension with no tire squirm.  It's been about 2 years since the change.   

John
(01-05-2021, 07:36 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I had black rubber tires on my 14" Delta, too, unglued.  They were fine when new but began to squirm after several years if I left the blade under tension.  I decided to get new urethane tires instead of getting new rubber ones and gluing them on.  Absolutely no issues moving to the (blue) urethane ones.  The saw runs much smoother now and I can leave the blade under tension with no tire squirm.  It's been about 2 years since the change.   

John

Black rubber tires glued on will last for decades.  Even many tires that weren't glued on lasted for many years, but not decades.
Its your money, your choice, and your benefits or consequences.

Poly tires glued on with 3M 5200 will likely last for decades.
(01-05-2021, 06:29 PM)Willyou Wrote: I have a 14" Delta band saw. I don't know how old it is, but it was used when I got it and I have used it for perhaps 10 years. The tires are black rubber and appear in good condition. However, the upper one crawls off the wheel. So, I guess they need replacing. Do I understand correctly that the black rubber ones need to be glued on? The ones I have don't appear to be glued. Which is better, glued on black rubber or urethane which apparently don't require glue? Is any one source better than another?

I switched from the original rubber to urethane on a 14" Powermatic. I removed the wheels, cleaned them and installed the new tires. I found it is easier to do if you are pushing the tire away from you, rather than pulling it toward you, while working it onto the wheel. No glue, smooth running.

---
See ya later,
Bill
So. I understand that there is little or no difference between glued or non-glued rubber or urethane. If I may, let me rephrase the question. What about gluing on the existing ones? The tires seem to otherwise be in good condition. They are pliable, undamaged, and seat into the wheel groove snugly. There is no obvious reason for the upper tire to crawl off. It seems, in that it was not originally glued on, that it has stretched a bit. Has anyone tried to do this? Is there a down side to trying to glue on an old tire? Do I understand correctly that solvent based contact cement (Weldwood or similar) is what to use, or one more specific for the purpose? I don't object to replacing the tires. Gluing, if it works, will just get it back into operation more quickly.

Followup: I came across a statement on the https://bandsawtires.com/urethane-tire-choice/ site that one should order a tire that is 2" smaller than the wheel size. So, for a 14" wheel, I need to order a 12" tire? Or, does that mean that a new tire intended to fit a 14" wheel is actually 12" in dia?
(01-06-2021, 12:01 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Black rubber tires glued on will last for decades.  Even many tires that weren't glued on lasted for many years, but not decades.
Its your money, your choice, and your benefits or consequences.

Poly tires glued on with 3M 5200 will likely last for decades.

Black rubber tires glued on will last for decades.

Mine have been on since new....forty years now..
Winkgrin
And I have never released the tension except to change blades.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-06-2021, 02:01 PM)Willyou Wrote: So. I understand that there is little or no difference between glued or non-glued rubber or urethane. If I may, let me rephrase the question. What about gluing on the existing ones? The tires seem to otherwise be in good condition. They are pliable, undamaged, and seat into the wheel groove snugly. There is no obvious reason for the upper tire to crawl off. It seems, in that it was not originally glued on, that it has stretched a bit. Has anyone tried to do this? Is there a down side to trying to glue on an old tire? Do I understand correctly that solvent based contact cement (Weldwood or similar) is what to use, or one more specific for the purpose? I don't object to replacing the tires. Gluing, if it works, will just get it back into operation more quickly.

Followup: I came across a statement on the https://bandsawtires.com/urethane-tire-choice/ site that one should order a tire that is 2" smaller than the wheel size. So, for a 14" wheel, I need to order a 12" tire? Or, does that mean that a new tire intended to fit a 14" wheel is actually 12" in dia?

When one of my original tires started coming off the wheel I figured it was because it had worn unevenly. The urethane replacement needed no glue. 

Not sure about 12" tire for 14" wheel. When I ordered mine I just looked for one that said it fit a 14" bandsaw.

--
See ya later,
Bill
Regarding the size question, I got the following email from Carter Products:

"Thank you for your email regarding tires for your bandsaw. If you are purchasing tires for your 14” bandsaw wheels from Carter Products you will want to purchase 14” tires. All of our tires are already undersized and are stretch to fit. Carter Products makes both Rubber and Urethane tires in 14”. We have included the links for both for you below."

That makes perfect sense and "bandsawtires.com" should clarify their statement.

I appreciate all of the advice above. I have placed an order for some new Carter urethane tires from WoodCraft who has them marked down a bit.
(01-06-2021, 12:01 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Poly tires glued on with 3M 5200 will likely last for decades.

Bob. I just tried 5200 on some 30" wheels and a week latter it still hadn't set. Found this out grinding them and ruined one. I have used in a lot on boats and through it was the perfect adhesive.  Going with epoxy next set.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Bought Ur tires from Highland hardware last time, for a Taiwan saw.
No problem getting them on. No glue as the wheels has sideboards.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020