wOODSMITH RANT
I recieved my Feb/March issue yesterday. The magazine is 44% advertising by my count and math. Very disapointing
(01-08-2021, 12:00 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I recieved my Feb/March issue yesterday. The magazine is 44% advertising by my count and math. Very disapointing

Advertising is what pays the bills.  I remember it in the early years when there was no ads.
Larry KQ6PJ
They must have changed their mind about something. A few months back when they started accepting ads it was only on the inside of the cover. Guess that wasn't enough.

Edit in: OK, I just got my copy today...all they did was put a Woodpecker catalog in the center of the magazine; pull it out and you're back to no ads (except therirown).

Oops, one more edit....after perusing the magazine, it does have ads on some of the other pages, even one from Harbor Freight.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Was it like this before? They now offer you a chance to win a gift card instead of cold cash if you have a good tip. I think (not 100% sure) they gave you money once your tip was taken, not just a chance to win something. Cost cutting and revenue generating, the new (actual old) business strategy. 

My beef is: should I consider the zeroplay 360 sled piece an article or an ad?!!! (Confession: The magazine belongs to a buddy.)

WS also seems to have followed others like Woodcraft, and Wood, including something about hand tools. Frankly, anyone really serious about quality hand tool work should check out Fine Woodworking in which people do that for a living, not just for the magazine pages.

Simon
(01-08-2021, 01:09 PM)Larry in CA Wrote: Advertising is what pays the bills.  I remember it in the early years when there was no ads.

and pays for the existence of this forum.

Simon
I cannot imagine how dificult it must be for any magizene to survive in this day.  Seventeen or eighteen years ago I had 7 woodworking magizene subscriptions and eagerly awaited the arrival of each.  I read every article and skimed every ad.  At present, I have only one subscription and may not renew it.  As much as I appreciated the the power of the internet, it has almost destroyed magazines, newspapers, and a lot of other business.  Then we were blessed with the pandimic!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Received my Woodsmith mag yesterday, picked it up and thought "this is going to be a good issue"........... after 35 pages came 24 pages of Woodpeckers ads. I intended a rant  post here but Turner52 beat me to the keyboard.
Yes

In my estimation, the same criticism mentioned in the above posts apply to, in my opinion, to the paid subscription to "Woodsmith Essentials". It seems lately it contains, mostly, the email tips regularly sent to those who agree to it.
I really miss Don Peschke on the "Essentials" program and wonder if his move to the Woodsmith Store was his decision or a cost-cutting pressure from the publisher? The younger guys replacing him certainly don't have his level of experience.

About 6 months ago, after trying to decipher what Logan Wittmer was saying, I emailed the mag urging he needed to articulate better and refrain from swallowing the end of sentences. He responded to me direct and said he would concentrate on his style of delivery. I haven't noticed an improvement since then. 

In years past I considered Woodsmith (and ShopeNotes) to be the best mags for hobbyists on the planet. Now I'm reconsidering my opinion.
Angry
(01-09-2021, 11:28 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: As much as I appreciated the the power of the internet, it has almost destroyed magazines, newspapers, and a lot of other business.  Then we were blessed with the pandimic!!!!

The internet has killed many jobs, but has created many new ones, too. Look at the social media business and online vendors (etsy, etc) that wouldn't have existed without the internet. The print future is doomed not just because of the internet, but also due to pressure from the environmental concerns. Many merchants here including Ikea have decided to discontinue paper catalogs and flyers. I don't expect my great great grand kids to flip pages of any kind physically anymore.

The most scary thing to me is that so many people (and they're adults) follow the so-called social media influencers so blindly (not talking about political ones here). I often see naive remarks in woodworking ones that sometimes I wonder if these people really have the intelligence to handle a machine. It's like saying you use a slot screwdriver, not a Philips, to turn a slot screw...and people jump on saying how smart your advice is.

Simon
(01-09-2021, 01:13 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The internet has killed many jobs, but has created many new ones, too. Look at the social media business and online vendors (etsy, etc) that wouldn't have existed without the internet. The print future is doomed not just because of the internet, but also due to pressure from the environmental concerns. Many merchants here including Ikea have decided to discontinue paper catalogs and flyers. I don't expect my great great grand kids to flip pages of any kind physically anymore.

The most scary thing to me is that so many people (and they're adults) follow the so-called social media influencers so blindly (not talking about political ones here). I often see naive remarks in woodworking ones that sometimes I wonder if these people really have the intelligence to  handle a machine. It's like saying you use a slot screwdriver, not a Philips, to turn a slot screw...and people jump on saying how smart your advice is.

Simon
Back in the olden days, most magazines were published monthly. Craft and outdoor magazines usually had a classified section which was very interesting.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

"In years past I considered Woodsmith (and ShopNotes) to be the best mags for hobbyists on the planet. Now I'm reconsidering my opinion."
--Budglo

I feel the same. I purchased the first year or two issues from a newsstand and then subscribed starting Issue #9 and haven't missed a renewal or an issue. Same with Shopnotes. 

This month I renewed for another year to give the magazine another year. I have not been that impressed with the last several issues and the ads are annoying. If it does not improve, I think I'll will not renew in January 2022. I would pay an increased subscription for an ad-free magazine. 

" As much as I appreciated the the power of the internet, it has almost destroyed magazines, newspapers, and a lot of other business."
--Bill Holt

BINGO! I agree 100%.