wOODSMITH RANT
I think I'd rather have a "removable" insert in the middle of a magazine than ads scattered all over the place. I still like printed material, while it lasts, and will tolerate a certain amount of ads to have that option.
(01-11-2021, 05:49 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I think I'd rather have a "removable" insert in the middle of a magazine than ads scattered all over the place. I still like printed material, while it lasts, and will tolerate a certain amount of ads to have that option.

Ads are inevitable unless you pay premium (youtube vids these days are infested with ads -- To avoid that, I download a video if I think it's worth the time).

My first choice is ad insert that is separate from the magazine itself (which can go to the recycle bin without extra (pulling) effort, if so desired), followed by removable insert.

My last choice? Pseudo articles that really are ads...Fine Woodworking has them in a regular column.

Simon
(01-11-2021, 05:49 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I still like printed material, while it lasts . . . . .

So do I.  We are dinosaurs.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-11-2021, 10:33 AM)budglo Wrote: AHill, what I was trying to describe by "swallowing the end of a sentence" could better be explained by mumbling the end of a comment, or swallowing. Probably could have chosen a more apt description, but I'm a retired military pilot and have observed, that in hostile environments, miscommunications between air and ground can have severe and fatal consequences. In military communications the "who, what, when, where and, if appropriate, why" has become an integral part of my conversational habits. Summed up..... always articulate. Sorry for the confusion.
Big Grin

Thanks.  My son is an air traffic controller in the USAF.  The most important thing he learned in Tech School was the vocabulary and TO SPEAK CLEARLY.  Since he's at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, he deals with both military and commercial traffic.  Plenty of pilots where English is their second or third language.  It's a challenge to make sure they understand you and vice versa.  You are correct about miscommunications!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-11-2021, 07:05 PM)Admiral Wrote: So do I.  We are dinosaurs.....

Count me in on that as well...I can't do articles (or videos over 1 minute) on the computer screen.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-11-2021, 07:05 PM)Admiral Wrote: So do I.  We are dinosaurs.....

Yes Rich, we certainly are but I'm glad I lived a good portion of my life without the Internet!
Smile
(01-11-2021, 08:27 PM)AHill Wrote: Thanks.  My son is an air traffic controller in the USAF.  The most important thing he learned in Tech School was the vocabulary and TO SPEAK CLEARLY.  Since he's at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, he deals with both military and commercial traffic.  Plenty of pilots where English is their second or third language.  It's a challenge to make sure they understand you and vice versa.  You are correct about miscommunications!

Ha ha, I learned that when I started to work for a multinational corporation back in 2002; fully 70% of the people I deal with speak english as a second language, and in various fluency levels.  You have to simplify your vocabulary, speak slower than normal, and to understand them, "tune" your ear to various accents and inflections from different geographic areas (a lot is dependent upon who taught english to the person speaking).  It takes a good year to get good at this.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I enjoy the woodsmith show. I eventually want to do mostly hand tool work and wood turning and I do like the fact that Logan is more on the hand tool side.

The one thing I don’t like about all these subscription to magazines is that they don’t give you access to the back issues. Woodworking journal does and is only 20 for a year. I will say most of it is filler type stuff but some of the articles are really nice and the plans decent. I think woodsmith probably has the best plans.
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
(01-08-2021, 12:00 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I recieved my Feb/March issue yesterday. The magazine is 44% advertising by my count and math. Very disapointing

I subscribed for years but quit a couple years back. Too repetitive too many ads, plans for too many weird "shop made" that I would NEVER make became a waste of money when I would page thru an entire issue and not see one thing that piqued my interest or showed a new technique.
(01-13-2021, 11:44 AM)vernonator Wrote: I subscribed for years but quit a couple years back. Too repetitive too many ads, plans for too many weird "shop made" that I would NEVER make became a waste of money when I would page thru an entire issue and not see one thing that piqued my interest or showed a new technique.

Any publication relying on an in-house team of writers faces the same problem of producing recycled and sometimes dated projects or techniques. I mentioned Fine Woodworking, but I also came across a few British ones whose contents are mainly contributed. Now and then, you'll see some fresh ideas and techniques from them. They're a bit too expensive, however, given the mailing costs (not interested in any digital subscription).

For the record, I never build anything out of plans (except when I first started, and they were restricted to jigs), and measured drawings often contain errors. The beginners may find them useful though.

Simon